Old 02-05-2009, 12:34 PM posted to rec.gardens
Pat Kiewicz[_2_] Pat Kiewicz[_2_] is offline

Default Signs of Spring

brooklyn1 said:

"Pat Kiewicz" wrote in message

My mother would envy you those bleeding hearts. Every year, the spring
weather in Colorado thwarts her and takes out her bleeding hearts. (Fond
memories of them in springtimes back east keep her trying.)

I always think of bleeding heart as a rather tough plant, it't one of the
first to come up here every spring. Spring in the Catskills is often wintry
too, it was 33ºF early yesterday morning, down from unseasonal mid 80s the
prior week. I have my bleeding heart tucked into a corner close to the
south side of the house, perhaps your mom needs to find a more protected
and hospitable location

Heh, you don't know how the weather on the plains of NE Colorado can
zoom around, do you. She's got her bleeding hearts in her little courtyard
(as sheltered as possible). There are lilacs planted all over her town, and yet,
she tells me, most years the blooms get blasted. Too many very warm Feb-
Mar days followed by late April blizzards will do that!

(I've never lived in Colorado myself, but it is a nice place to visit, even in the
flat parts.)

--
Pat in Plymouth MI

"So, it was all a dream."
"No dear, this is the dream, you're still in the cell."

email valid but not regularly monitored