Old 30-04-2009, 03:06 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Signs of Spring

Here in the NY Catskills spring is bustin' out all over. Last week an early
heat wave, in the 80s, gave spring here a two week headstart. This morning
the temperature was a balmy 33ºF.

My flowering pear in blossom, its sixth season since I planted it:
http://i41.tinypic.com/311xvd0.jpg

The four fruit trees (2 apple/2 plum) I planted last year all made it:
http://i43.tinypic.com/iqlxtc.jpg

All four blossoming:
http://i41.tinypic.com/1ghbpv.jpg
http://i43.tinypic.com/rk4kr9.jpg

Bulbs don't mind pine bark mulch:
http://i44.tinypic.com/favib6.jpg

Bleeding hearts awaiting the first hummers:
http://i42.tinypic.com/aa9iq1.jpg

Creek is looking better, didn't lose all the daffodils afterall:
http://i44.tinypic.com/dvlcb9.jpg

Some squirrel leavings:
http://i41.tinypic.com/357rjic.jpg

Some neighbor leavings... Mooch, that's peanut butter, not mouse:
http://i43.tinypic.com/2wnvbza.jpg

Old 01-05-2009, 07:02 AM posted to rec.gardens

"brooklyn1" wrote in message
My flowering pear in blossom, its sixth season since I planted it:
http://i41.tinypic.com/311xvd0.jpg

The four fruit trees (2 apple/2 plum) I planted last year all made it:
http://i43.tinypic.com/iqlxtc.jpg

All four blossoming:
http://i41.tinypic.com/1ghbpv.jpg
http://i43.tinypic.com/rk4kr9.jpg

Bulbs don't mind pine bark mulch:
http://i44.tinypic.com/favib6.jpg

Bleeding hearts awaiting the first hummers:
http://i42.tinypic.com/aa9iq1.jpg

Creek is looking better, didn't lose all the daffodils afterall:
http://i44.tinypic.com/dvlcb9.jpg

I hope you realise how lucky you are. I wish I could grow bleeding heart.
And the green grass and a flowing creek. I'm pea green with envy about your
natural wonders.

Old 01-05-2009, 12:14 PM posted to rec.gardens

brooklyn1 said:

Here in the NY Catskills spring is bustin' out all over. Last week an early
heat wave, in the 80s, gave spring here a two week headstart. This
morning the temperature was a balmy 33ºF.

Bleeding hearts awaiting the first hummers:
http://i42.tinypic.com/aa9iq1.jpg

My mother would envy you those bleeding hearts. Every year, the spring
weather in Colorado thwarts her and takes out her bleeding hearts. (Fond
memories of them in springtimes back east keep her trying.)

Here in Michigan, I'm only growing the little Dicentra that last a long time;
"Luxurient" and a white one whose variety name escapes me right now.

The serviceberry popped into bloom this weekend, and now several days
of rain has washed most of the petals off. It was a nice moment, but
fleeting. I hope it was able to set fruit. I love to watch the cedar waxwings
feeding on the berries.

--
Pat in Plymouth MI

"So, it was all a dream."
"No dear, this is the dream, you're still in the cell."

email valid but not regularly monitored

Old 01-05-2009, 01:13 PM posted to rec.gardens

"brooklyn1" wrote in message
My flowering pear in blossom, its sixth season since I planted it:
http://i41.tinypic.com/311xvd0.jpg

The four fruit trees (2 apple/2 plum) I planted last year all made it:
http://i43.tinypic.com/iqlxtc.jpg

All four blossoming:
http://i41.tinypic.com/1ghbpv.jpg
http://i43.tinypic.com/rk4kr9.jpg

Bulbs don't mind pine bark mulch:
http://i44.tinypic.com/favib6.jpg

Bleeding hearts awaiting the first hummers:
http://i42.tinypic.com/aa9iq1.jpg

Creek is looking better, didn't lose all the daffodils afterall:
http://i44.tinypic.com/dvlcb9.jpg

I hope you realise how lucky you are. I wish I could grow bleeding heart.
And the green grass and a flowing creek. I'm pea green with envy about
your natural wonders.

Where are you located, perhaps you can grow what I can't... I'd love to have
some citrus trees but alas they won't grow here.

Old 01-05-2009, 01:36 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Pat Kiewicz" wrote in message
brooklyn1 said:

[...]

I always think of bleeding heart as a rather tough plant, it't one of the
first to come up here every spring. Spring in the Catskills is often wintry
too, it was 33ºF early yesterday morning, down from unseasonal mid 80s the
prior week. I have my bleeding heart tucked into a corner close to the
south side of the house, perhaps your mom needs to find a more protected and
hospitable location

Early this morning, even before fully light, there were five mallards that
joined the Canada geese, one female. I don't know how long they were here
but they left a few minutes after I shot a few pictures:
http://i44.tinypic.com/dzez5d.jpg
http://i40.tinypic.com/x1nd47.jpg
http://i39.tinypic.com/2drzxbq.jpg

Old 02-05-2009, 12:34 PM posted to rec.gardens

brooklyn1 said:

"Pat Kiewicz" wrote in message

My mother would envy you those bleeding hearts. Every year, the spring
weather in Colorado thwarts her and takes out her bleeding hearts. (Fond
memories of them in springtimes back east keep her trying.)

I always think of bleeding heart as a rather tough plant, it't one of the
first to come up here every spring. Spring in the Catskills is often wintry
too, it was 33ºF early yesterday morning, down from unseasonal mid 80s the
prior week. I have my bleeding heart tucked into a corner close to the
south side of the house, perhaps your mom needs to find a more protected
and hospitable location

Heh, you don't know how the weather on the plains of NE Colorado can
zoom around, do you. She's got her bleeding hearts in her little courtyard
(as sheltered as possible). There are lilacs planted all over her town, and yet,
she tells me, most years the blooms get blasted. Too many very warm Feb-
Mar days followed by late April blizzards will do that!

(I've never lived in Colorado myself, but it is a nice place to visit, even in the
flat parts.)

Old 02-05-2009, 02:46 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Pat Kiewicz" wrote:
brooklyn1 said:
"Pat Kiewicz" wrote:

[...]

In these parts the winds can be horrific too but folks protect their
vulnerable plantings by shielding with burlap, etc., many will wrap each
individual shrub or protect an entire bed by attaching cloth to their deer
fencing... some use snow drift fencing to block the wind and protect plants
from being buried in snow drifts, all sorts of ingenious systems. The
weight of snow can do more damage to plants than wind... my neighbor goes
out during heavy snow storms with a broom to sweep the snow from all his
Colorado blue spruce before the weight of the snow breaks the branches.
People also use wind resistant plantings to shield more vulnerable
plantings, I have a 70' high double row of Norway spruce as a windbreak all
along the western side of my house, keeps my heating bills down and at the
same time protects my plants... and during blizzards as the snow accumulates
on those branches it forms a solid wall impenitrable to wind. That's why
the wildlife heads for the evergreen forests; on the coldest windiest days
the air inside remains still and the canopy actually traps the warmth
radiating from the ground. Many people here place evergreen boughs over
their vulnerable plants and beds, shields from wind, supports snow
accumulation, and holds in warmth. When I'm done with my Christmas tree
I'll lay it over a couple of shrubs until spring when I haul it into the
woods. I bet if your mom propped her spent Christmas tree over her bleeding
hearts plant it would be fine.