Old 14-04-2003, 09:20 AM
rarsin

Default Buffalo Lawn

I'm in Melbourne and have Sir Walter Buffalo in a mix of shaded and sunny
areas. It does reasonably well in the shade. I mow it high and try not to
give it too much water. The areas under shade are nice and green, but not
as lush as the areas that get sun.

Cheers - Rab.

"Adam" wrote in message
om...
"John Doh" wrote in message

Hi all, am just wondering what the shademaster and Sir Walter buffalo
grassess are like in areas that have shade, like under trees.At the

moment I
have kikuyu and it is not doing well at all, very sparse and ratty.I am
going to take the kikuyu out by hand (mattock and shovel) as I can't use

bobcat because of trees and roots in the area, and am going to use a

good
quality underlay organic dirt.By the way I am in the western suburbs of
Sydney.

IIRC Sir Walter needs a fair amount of direct light.
Kikuyu is the same, plus it goes very yellow in winter.
I'm currently trying Palmetto - it looks a lot like Sir Walter but
needs less direct sunlight. Wears really well, holds most of it's
colour in winter.
I'm in Melbourne though, so I'm not sure how it'd go in Sydney.

Adam