Old 03-05-2009, 10:49 AM posted to aus.gardens
0tterbot 0tterbot is offline

Default Defeat for the bats, birds and possums.

"GavinB" wrote in message

John Savage;837279 Wrote:

I don't believe instructions accompanying the use of tanglefoot would
say to leave any trapped animal to die of thirst; and I don't believe
any user would -- no more than they would with other live-capture
traps.
I'd expect users would check the trap daily and dispatch any captured
pests quickly and humanely.

A glue trap isn't intended to be a catch and release trap. They are
designed to hold the animal in place so it dies of thirst/starvation
because it has no access to food or water. (snip)

john is a nice guy so he wouldn't - but yes, my point in the remarks i made
was that, well, it's just "easy" for people to leave them there & tidy up
weeks or months later.. and that is what some of them would do. ugh.

i even went off the sticky yellow glue traps (for white fly, that one uses
in the greenhouse or veggie patch) because i was catching little skinks. the
little skinks wanted to eat the trapped bugs but got caught themselves.
after our second afternoon of spending several hours unsticking all the
lizard's little tiny feet & whatnot with a blunt pin, & trying to wash off
all the sticky, i just decided i'd rather have white fly than stuck lizards.

i think i agree with you - that perhaps such things are best off banned
entirely. anything that is marketed to lazy people is probably a problem.
:-) i mean, i am very lazy myself, but i try not to indulge it overly.
kylie