Old 03-05-2009, 10:54 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Default Any Silver Birch/Tree experts?

Chris J Dixon writes
Angela wrote:

My house has a very small garden that had 4 mature
Silver birch, 1 young maple (though alrealdy large), a young scots pine and
a mature crab apple. All are within 4 metres or so of the house (one is 2
metres)

I had discussions with
the council and they waived the planning permission and allowed me to have
some trees removed, so I had all but 2 silver birches and the scots pine
removed.

What view has your insurance company taken of such large trees so
close to the house?

I'd have thought it was changes that mattered. Build a house next to an
already mature tree, not much problem. Plant a small tree next to a
house and let it grow large - a gradually increasing amount of water is
being taken from the soil by the tree, so soil volume is shrinking on
the side of the house nearest tree, and shrinking much less on the side
farthest from the tree - foundations shift.

I understand removing a large tree can also be problematical - suddenly
water isn't being taken, so soil expands on the side of the house where
the tree was - it's called 'heave'.
--
Kay