Old 03-05-2009, 04:35 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default Pond enlargement

I will definitely second the ease and benefit of a veggie filter. Because I only
have a 25' x 25' back yard my 1600 gallon partly above ground koi pond has a veggie
filter that sits on TOP of the pond along two edges.
http://weloveteaching.com/mypond/mypond.htm
I even have a veggie filter sits inside my pond for winter. I do not use "low" water
plants like hyacinths instead use water celery and cyperus (papyrus) that grow
upright and take less space per huge root ball. INgrid

On Wed, 29 Apr 2009 18:27:41 EDT, Jim and Phyllis wrote:
Then let me be the first to suggest the benefit of an out of pond
veggie filter or even a bog as compared to a regular filter. Lots
less cleaning. Just a slow flow through lots of nutrient grabbing/
mechanical filtering plant roots. If you have a good drain, you can
clean it every year or so by opening the drain and flushing with pond
water.
Our pond and veggie filters are at: http://home.bellsouth.net/personalpages/pwp-jameshurley.