Old 04-05-2009, 09:44 PM posted to rec.gardens
Ray[_3_] Ray[_3_] is offline

Default Radishes. . .

My problem is definitely not hard soil, nor is it lack of sun. It has to be
something else. Maybe the excess nitrogen, but I've tried planting in many
different locations. The result is always the same -- leaves, stems, and no
roots.

"Ernie Willson" wrote in message
m...
Lack of sunlight will do this.

EJ in NJ

Billy wrote:
In article ,
"Ray" wrote:

Radishes are supposed to be so easy and quick to grow that Fourth Grade
students use them as science projects.

But in that field, I flunk. For years I've planted radish seeds -- in
every place, in every kind of soil, deep and shallow, but no matter
what, they always come up, form a spindly stem, and that's it. I never
get a root.

What's the problem?

Hopefully, it is hard soil. This year I have very soft soil and I'm
hoping for a better crop of radishes. Shouldn't be long before I find
out. The other possibility is too much nitrogen which favors vegetaive
growth instead of root growth. Try steamed bone meal (1-13-0), and some
greensand or wood ashes, to stimulate root growth.