Old 04-05-2009, 06:01 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Radishes. . .

Radishes are supposed to be so easy and quick to grow that Fourth Grade
students use them as science projects.

But in that field, I flunk. For years I've planted radish seeds -- in every
place, in every kind of soil, deep and shallow, but no matter what, they
always come up, form a spindly stem, and that's it. I never get a root.

What's the problem?

Old 04-05-2009, 07:24 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
"Ray" wrote:

Radishes are supposed to be so easy and quick to grow that Fourth Grade
students use them as science projects.

But in that field, I flunk. For years I've planted radish seeds -- in every
place, in every kind of soil, deep and shallow, but no matter what, they
always come up, form a spindly stem, and that's it. I never get a root.

What's the problem?

Hopefully, it is hard soil. This year I have very soft soil and I'm
hoping for a better crop of radishes. Shouldn't be long before I find
out. The other possibility is too much nitrogen which favors vegetaive
growth instead of root growth. Try steamed bone meal (1-13-0), and some
greensand or wood ashes, to stimulate root growth.
--

- Billy

Old 04-05-2009, 09:44 PM posted to rec.gardens

My problem is definitely not hard soil, nor is it lack of sun. It has to be
something else. Maybe the excess nitrogen, but I've tried planting in many
different locations. The result is always the same -- leaves, stems, and no
roots.

"Ernie Willson" wrote in message
m...
Lack of sunlight will do this.

EJ in NJ

Old 05-05-2009, 12:40 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Ray" wrote in message
My problem is definitely not hard soil, nor is it lack of sun. It has to
be something else. Maybe the excess nitrogen, but I've tried planting in
many different locations. The result is always the same -- leaves, stems,
and no roots.

Here in NY I've found radishes do best planted in very early spring, during
cool/cold wet weather... sown once it warms up it's mostly the leaves that
grow, the radishes become woody, very small, insect infested, and overly
sharp tasting, once planted past the peak time it's hardly worth the
trouble. I don't plant radishes every year but weather permitting I will
sow a packet in my herb garden by my back door where I can see them from my
window. I pick them early before they become too large and are pithy. I
don't ordinarilly buy ordinary radishes, I usually buy those giant diakons,
they're mild and crisp, very nice in a salad or even a light soup... diakon
is good in ramen along with bock choy, napa, garlic, 'shooms, etc. Too bad
diakon isn't available bright red skinned, least I've never seen any. I've
tried growing diakon but no luck... I think "No Luck" is the name of a
Chinese market.

Old 06-05-2009, 01:34 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Mon, 04 May 2009 17:01:19 GMT, "Ray"
wrote:

Radishes are supposed to be so easy and quick to grow that Fourth Grade
students use them as science projects.

But in that field, I flunk. For years I've planted radish seeds -- in every
place, in every kind of soil, deep and shallow, but no matter what, they
always come up, form a spindly stem, and that's it. I never get a root.

What's the problem?

Radishes have been my worst crop and I am trying it again. The soil
is tilled and the radishes have been up for two weeks. It has been
raining everyday for the past 8 days and the soil is saturated. The
radishes I harvested last year were small and bitter, probably from
being in the ground too long or maybe not enough sand. No signs of
insect damage. They are not spindly at all, as they are getting
plenty of full sun.
Old 06-05-2009, 03:06 PM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

Radishes are supposed to be so easy and quick to grow that Fourth Grade
students use them as science projects.

But in that field, I flunk. For years I've planted radish seeds -- in
every
place, in every kind of soil, deep and shallow, but no matter what, they
always come up, form a spindly stem, and that's it. I never get a root.

What's the problem?

Radishes have been my worst crop and I am trying it again. The soil
is tilled and the radishes have been up for two weeks. It has been
raining everyday for the past 8 days and the soil is saturated. The
radishes I harvested last year were small and bitter, probably from
being in the ground too long or maybe not enough sand. No signs of
insect damage. They are not spindly at all, as they are getting
plenty of full sun.

signature database 4055 (20090506) __________

http://www.eset.com

If you want to plant a good radish that is not hot or woody, try the German
Parat radish. I've had very good luck with them and they taste good and grow
very well to a large to medium size. I got mine from Gurney. I think Burpee
has them too.

__________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 4055 (20090506) __________

http://www.eset.com

[IMG] code is On

radishes donald girod Lawns 0 14-07-2003 05:46 PM
radishes...storage, seeds.... Simon Stenkle Edible Gardening 1 08-07-2003 04:10 PM
What I've learnt about Radishes Steve Harris United Kingdom 3 27-04-2003 09:56 PM
Radishes Morgan Australia 3 05-04-2003 06:33 AM
Radishes - my Waterloo Polar Edible Gardening 7 25-03-2003 11:20 PM