Old 05-05-2009, 12:40 AM posted to rec.gardens
brooklyn1 brooklyn1 is offline

Default Radishes. . .

"Ray" wrote in message
My problem is definitely not hard soil, nor is it lack of sun. It has to
be something else. Maybe the excess nitrogen, but I've tried planting in
many different locations. The result is always the same -- leaves, stems,
and no roots.

Here in NY I've found radishes do best planted in very early spring, during
cool/cold wet weather... sown once it warms up it's mostly the leaves that
grow, the radishes become woody, very small, insect infested, and overly
sharp tasting, once planted past the peak time it's hardly worth the
trouble. I don't plant radishes every year but weather permitting I will
sow a packet in my herb garden by my back door where I can see them from my
window. I pick them early before they become too large and are pithy. I
don't ordinarilly buy ordinary radishes, I usually buy those giant diakons,
they're mild and crisp, very nice in a salad or even a light soup... diakon
is good in ramen along with bock choy, napa, garlic, 'shooms, etc. Too bad
diakon isn't available bright red skinned, least I've never seen any. I've
tried growing diakon but no luck... I think "No Luck" is the name of a
Chinese market.