Old 05-05-2009, 06:30 AM posted to aus.gardens
Tom N Tom N is offline

Default Bird's eye chillies in Melbourne

Any tips for growing bird's eye chilli plants in Melbourne?

We were recently given one and told to keep it indoors. We've previously
had one in the garden. Once I built a wire cage over it to keep critters
(rats or possums) from eating the chillies, it didn't really do very well
(no new chillies and it died eventually).

The new one we kept inside for a couple of weeks (sunny spot on kitchen
bench) but it seems to not like the ducted heating. Leaves are drying out
and curling up and chillies are drying out too. Which sounds like lack of
water but it is kept moist, so maybe the air is too dry?

It's had some Seasol and one dose of Aquasol. It's in an 8" approx plastic
pot straight from the nursery.

It looked great when we got it, but now if it was in the shop, it'd be half
price.

It has been kept moist. We've been growing one of those supermarket
hyrdoponic basil plants (in perlite or similar) in the same spot in the
same way for about 3 months and it is still going strong.

The last couple of days it is outside in a recycling crate facing north
covered in clear plastic.

What is ideal? What is the ideal temperature? Cool nights ok? Does it
like humidity? Full sun or shade? Does it need the leaves to be sprayed
with water? Any particular likes or dislikes for fertiliser? Should it be
kept moist or allowed to dry out?