Old 05-05-2009, 02:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
TheScullster TheScullster is offline

Default moving plants

bob wrote

I know it's best to do this in autumn when they're dormant.

I assume it's risky to do it now, but is it universally the case for
all plants or are some a little more amenable?

What about a ceanothus just about to flower. Risky? Certain death?

Talking about careful relocation of plants............
In November last year, I had a fence erected - concrete posts/gravel boards
etc.
To accommodate this, 4 or 5 hedging plants were removed by builders
(therefore not with particularly great care).
The plants were 5 years old and all the top growth/foliage was cut off and
shredded leaving about 18" of "trunks" only with roots. These were dumped
behind the shed with very little earth still attached to the damaged roots
(pending removal to the tip).
A month or so later, by way of an experiment, I re-planted two of the
specimens and one to them has survived all the abuse and is now shooting!
Until the shoots have developed a bit more I won't be able to identify the
miracle plant, but could be ceanothus or cotoneaster.

I was genuinely amazed to see either survive.

Phil