Old 05-05-2009, 05:53 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default moving plants

I know it's best to do this in autumn when they're dormant.

I assume it's risky to do it now, but is it universally the case for
all plants or are some a little more amenable?

What about a ceanothus just about to flower. Risky? Certain death?
Old 05-05-2009, 08:02 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

bob wrote in message ...
I know it's best to do this in autumn when they're dormant.

I assume it's risky to do it now, but is it universally the case for
all plants or are some a little more amenable?

What about a ceanothus just about to flower. Risky? Certain death?

Probably not certain death, but I would expect reduced or no flowering this
year. But then it will have a full year to recover for a good flowering next
year.

Steve

Old 05-05-2009, 08:46 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

bob wrote

I know it's best to do this in autumn when they're dormant.

I assume it's risky to do it now, but is it universally the case for
all plants or are some a little more amenable?

What about a ceanothus just about to flower. Risky? Certain death?

If it's not too big and you can move it with almost the entire root ball in
tact, how will it know it's been moved?

Old 05-05-2009, 01:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 5 May 2009 08:46:51 +0100, "TheScullster"
wrote:

bob wrote

I know it's best to do this in autumn when they're dormant.

I assume it's risky to do it now, but is it universally the case for
all plants or are some a little more amenable?

What about a ceanothus just about to flower. Risky? Certain death?

If it's not too big and you can move it with almost the entire root ball in
tact, how will it know it's been moved?

I see what you mean. Though in the light of shazzbat's alert about
risk to flowering, I might just leave it till autumn anyway.

Thanks to you both.
Old 05-05-2009, 02:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

bob wrote

I know it's best to do this in autumn when they're dormant.

I assume it's risky to do it now, but is it universally the case for
all plants or are some a little more amenable?

What about a ceanothus just about to flower. Risky? Certain death?

Talking about careful relocation of plants............
In November last year, I had a fence erected - concrete posts/gravel boards
etc.
To accommodate this, 4 or 5 hedging plants were removed by builders
(therefore not with particularly great care).
The plants were 5 years old and all the top growth/foliage was cut off and
shredded leaving about 18" of "trunks" only with roots. These were dumped
behind the shed with very little earth still attached to the damaged roots
(pending removal to the tip).
A month or so later, by way of an experiment, I re-planted two of the
specimens and one to them has survived all the abuse and is now shooting!
Until the shoots have developed a bit more I won't be able to identify the
miracle plant, but could be ceanothus or cotoneaster.

I was genuinely amazed to see either survive.

Phil