Old 05-05-2009, 06:18 PM posted to rec.gardens
Bill[_13_] Bill[_13_] is offline

Default Any Sand Cherry experts out there

In article ,
Cheryl Isaak wrote:

I've google with little success - I want to move a sand cherry to a better
spot, more sun and less chance of being taken out by the plow guy.

What I really want to know it how large the root system is likely to be.

I want to prep the new home first, which will take a few days (or more) and
then start moving it. I also want to rescue the "blue monarda" that a friend
planted there so there will be lots of digging going on.

Thanks
Cheryl

Is this what you want?

http://www.naturehills.com/product/purpleleaf_sandcherry.aspx

If the info below is good and if Mature Spread = 7-8 feet I'd hazard
a guess the roots venture out close to that

Bill

PS do you eat the cherries?

Purpleleaf Sandcherry Details:
Plant Facts
Mature Height
6 - 8 feet
Mature Spread
7 - 8 feet
Soil Type
Widely Adaptable
Moisture
Widely Adaptable
Mature Form
Round
Growth Rate
Moderate
Sun Exposure
Full Sun
Flower Color
Pink and White
Fall Color
Red
Foliage Color
Purple
Zones
4-7
The Purple Leaf Sandcherry, Prunus cistena, is a thick-growing,
long-lived shrub that is sometimes called the Purple Leaf Sand Cherry.
It produces bright red 3 inch leaves in spring and blushing, white
flowers in May. In autumn it produces purple-black cherries and the
foliage turns a magnificent reddish purple.
This ornamental shrub is especially valued for its hardiness and unique
coloring. It is an asset to the landscape and a standout specimen shrub.
This deciduous plant makes a wonderful hedge as well. Grows 7-8 feet
tall, depending on pruning. Plant 2-3 feet apart for a hedge and best
planted in full sun.

--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

Not all who wander are lost.