Old 05-05-2009, 01:54 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Any Sand Cherry experts out there

I've google with little success - I want to move a sand cherry to a better
spot, more sun and less chance of being taken out by the plow guy.

What I really want to know it how large the root system is likely to be.

I want to prep the new home first, which will take a few days (or more) and
then start moving it. I also want to rescue the "blue monarda" that a friend
planted there so there will be lots of digging going on.

Thanks
Cheryl

Old 05-05-2009, 06:18 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
Cheryl Isaak wrote:

I've google with little success - I want to move a sand cherry to a better
spot, more sun and less chance of being taken out by the plow guy.

What I really want to know it how large the root system is likely to be.

I want to prep the new home first, which will take a few days (or more) and
then start moving it. I also want to rescue the "blue monarda" that a friend
planted there so there will be lots of digging going on.

Thanks
Cheryl

Is this what you want?

http://www.naturehills.com/product/purpleleaf_sandcherry.aspx

If the info below is good and if Mature Spread = 7-8 feet I'd hazard
a guess the roots venture out close to that

Bill

PS do you eat the cherries?

Purpleleaf Sandcherry Details:
Plant Facts
Mature Height
6 - 8 feet
Mature Spread
7 - 8 feet
Soil Type
Widely Adaptable
Moisture
Widely Adaptable
Mature Form
Round
Growth Rate
Moderate
Sun Exposure
Full Sun
Flower Color
Pink and White
Fall Color
Red
Foliage Color
Purple
Zones
4-7
The Purple Leaf Sandcherry, Prunus cistena, is a thick-growing,
long-lived shrub that is sometimes called the Purple Leaf Sand Cherry.
It produces bright red 3 inch leaves in spring and blushing, white
flowers in May. In autumn it produces purple-black cherries and the
foliage turns a magnificent reddish purple.
This ornamental shrub is especially valued for its hardiness and unique
coloring. It is an asset to the landscape and a standout specimen shrub.
This deciduous plant makes a wonderful hedge as well. Grows 7-8 feet
tall, depending on pruning. Plant 2-3 feet apart for a hedge and best
planted in full sun.

--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

Not all who wander are lost.
- J.R.R. Tolkien (1892-1973)

Old 06-05-2009, 01:32 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Cheryl Isaak" wrote
"Bill" wrote:
Cheryl Isaak wrote:

I've google with little success - I want to move a sand cherry to a
better
spot, more sun and less chance of being taken out by the plow guy.

What I really want to know it how large the root system is likely to be.

I want to prep the new home first, which will take a few days (or more)
and
then start moving it. I also want to rescue the "blue monarda" that a
friend
planted there so there will be lots of digging going on.

Is this what you want?

http://www.naturehills.com/product/purpleleaf_sandcherry.aspx

If the info below is good and if Mature Spread = 7-8 feet I'd hazard
a guess the roots venture out close to that

I was looking more for does it have a tap root or many large roots - sort
of
the basic what does the root system look like. I hate to have dug too deep
or not deep enough.

There's plenty of information on the net regarding sand cherry. But like
with moving other trees the size and age of the tree will dictate the extent
of its roots... cherry tree roots grow outward just slightly past the tree's
drip line and there is no tap root. It would also help you to know what the
soil it's growing in is like, there may be a lot or rock making it near
impossible to dig. And if your tree is of a size more than ~1 1/2" caliper
you may need to have it machine dug. From what I've already gleaned sand
cherry is not a very long lived tree (it's actually more of a shrub), so it
may be wiser to leave it and keep it well pruned and plant something new
rather than move your old tree.
http://treesandshrubs.about.com/od/c...eLeafSandC.htm