Old 06-05-2009, 11:08 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_4_] Sacha[_4_] is offline

Default Beans...........to pole or not

On 2009-05-05 22:16:09 +0100, "Pete C" said:

Set up traditional looking canes for runners at the weekend. Not happy with
my tying of the canes, so decided to get plastic thingys to make a wigwam. I
recall using disc shape tops years back, but B & Q didn't have them. They
sell a pack of curved bits which click together...ok, fair enough. Oh, what
a load of 'manure'! First, the parts required super human strength to clip
together. Then the holes for the canes were not flexible, so thicker canes
broke the plastic. Then, struggle to erect ten canes all wanting to go in
different directions. Gradually get them in some sort of circle, and start
to space properly....then......click, the plastic bits I struggled so hard
to put together pop apart!! They are now nearly 2 metres up in the air and
only touchable with finger tips. Take the whole lot down again, click back
together and re-erect. Repeat! Eventually got it up, but what a load of
c*rap they sold me. Back to canes and string next year.

It might not look as beautiful but you can achieve the same results
with smallish plant pots. Turn upside down, insert canes in holes at
bottom (now top) of pot. Voila!
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com
Exotic plants, shrubs & perennials