Old 05-05-2009, 10:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Beans...........to pole or not

Set up traditional looking canes for runners at the weekend. Not happy with
my tying of the canes, so decided to get plastic thingys to make a wigwam. I
recall using disc shape tops years back, but B & Q didn't have them. They
sell a pack of curved bits which click together...ok, fair enough. Oh, what
a load of 'manure'! First, the parts required super human strength to clip
together. Then the holes for the canes were not flexible, so thicker canes
broke the plastic. Then, struggle to erect ten canes all wanting to go in
different directions. Gradually get them in some sort of circle, and start
to space properly....then......click, the plastic bits I struggled so hard
to put together pop apart!! They are now nearly 2 metres up in the air and
only touchable with finger tips. Take the whole lot down again, click back
together and re-erect. Repeat! Eventually got it up, but what a load of
c*rap they sold me. Back to canes and string next year.
--
Pete C
London UK

Old 06-05-2009, 07:55 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Hi Pete,
I noticed those disc shaped tops when I was in our local Wilkinsons Store.
If you have a branch near you.
--
Bill.
South/West Durham

Old 06-05-2009, 09:43 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On May 6, 8:07*am, AriesVal wrote:
On Tue, 5 May 2009 22:16:09 +0100, Pete C wrote:
[...]

I only ever use bamboo canes Pete, whether I'm building a wigwam or a double
row of supports for runner beans. *Can't beat 'em as far as I'm concerned
--
He who knows others is learned; he who knows himself is wise.
~Lao-tzu, Tao te Chinghttp://valwrite.livejournal.com/

Edward also uses Bamboo, in a double row rather than a wigwam.

Judith
Old 06-05-2009, 11:08 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-05-05 22:16:09 +0100, "Pete C" said:

[...]

It might not look as beautiful but you can achieve the same results
with smallish plant pots. Turn upside down, insert canes in holes at
bottom (now top) of pot. Voila!
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com
Exotic plants, shrubs & perennials
South Devon

Old 06-05-2009, 11:27 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Sacha
writes
On 2009-05-05 22:16:09 +0100, "Pete C" said:

[...]

And it provides a perfect place for the snails to hide.
(At least you know where to find 'em). :-)

I wrestled with the plastic disc with holes in for a year or two, then
used four steel 'canes' in two inverted "V"s and a bamboo lashed across
where they intersect. That was ok, as were the canes held against
the garage soffit (?) boards by staples and bits of garden wire.

I've not decided what to do this year, yet...
--
Gordon H
Remove "invalid" to reply

Old 06-05-2009, 01:29 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by AriesVal[_4_] View Post
[...]

Last year I grew my runners on a wigwam made of canes. Placed the canes in a circle or a square, lean them into the centre at the top and tied them together with a length of cord. Had a good crop and no problems. When I was feeding a family I grew them in two rows. A strong support at each end and a good bar across the top. I used lengths of sisal in stead of canes, and tied it to a bit of stick at the bottom just to keep the sisal in place. The beans were just as happy growing up that instead of canes and their own weight kept the sisal in place. You could of course use double the supports with the sisal dropping vertically. That works as well - probably a bit better as the sisal doesn't sag.
Bigal
Old 06-05-2009, 05:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Bigal
writes
Last year I grew my runners on a wigwam made of canes. Placed the
canes in a circle or a square, lean them into the centre at the top and
tied them together with a length of cord.

Same here.

Had a good crop and no
problems.

Had a good crop but problems finding the tops of the plants in the
foliage to pinch out because the tops of the poles were so close
together, and it was also difficult finding the pods before they became
too big. I prefer the traditional double row.

I recommend hazel poles if you live in the country and have access to
some woodland. They grow very tall and straight and poles about 8 feet
long will give you a 6 ft high frame with plenty in the ground for
support. In some cases you can get a hazel pole with a fork in it, which
is very useful as a supporting pole.

We take the easy way out and don't have a vertical pole for each plant.
A smaller pole - normally bamboo - is tied horizontally about 6 inches
above the ground from one upright along to the next on both sides . Then
a length of twine is tied onto this horizontal at each plant and taken
over the top bar and down to the plant on the other side.

The beans will climb the twine as easily as a pole, and after harvest
dried haulms and twine are cut down and put on the compost heap.

New hazel poles will last for several years before becoming brittle,
when they make good firewood!

Roy.
--
Roy Bailey
West Berkshire.

Old 06-05-2009, 05:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 6 May 2009 07:55:29 +0100, "Bill P."
wrote:

Hi Pete,
I noticed those disc shaped tops when I was in our local Wilkinsons Store.
If you have a branch near you.

I bought a packet of two from Wilkinson's - very pliable.

I have just got a large pot put ten canes around the outside and then
pulled all together at the top. The canes are bowed - so it makes
quite an attractive basket shape. Growing sweet peas up it - with
string going round and round.

There are only six holes in the plastic thing - but the other four
canes went comfortably through the large centre hole.

Very pleased with it.