Old 06-05-2009, 07:47 PM
beccabunga beccabunga is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob[_1_] View Post
A little while ago a friend told me he was having trouble establishing
LotV in his garden (like me he's a beginner) and it was only after
reading up recently that I've discovered how invasive this plant can
be.

Now I'm beginning to harbour similar qualms about JA which seems to be
spreading out on all sides with gleeful haste.

Do these propogate themselves in a similar fashion - as I understand
it through a network of rhizomes?

Is there a tried and tested way of keeping these under control?

Thanks for any advice

Lily of the Valley is picky about where it settles, and I tend to leave it be. If it interferes with something else, then hefty digging out of roots is the only solution I have found - and it immediately sits up and says "Thanks - lovely soft bed for me".

Japanese anemone is intolerable! I dug it all out of a largish bed, and am still digging out little offsets. But apart from weedkiller this is the only way I know to get rid of it. The white one seems less invasive than the basic pink.