Old 06-05-2009, 12:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Lily of the valley and Japanese anenome

A little while ago a friend told me he was having trouble establishing
LotV in his garden (like me he's a beginner) and it was only after
reading up recently that I've discovered how invasive this plant can
be.

Now I'm beginning to harbour similar qualms about JA which seems to be
spreading out on all sides with gleeful haste.

Do these propogate themselves in a similar fashion - as I understand
it through a network of rhizomes?

Is there a tried and tested way of keeping these under control?

Thanks for any advice
Old 06-05-2009, 04:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-05-06 12:08:46 +0100, bob said:

A little while ago a friend told me he was having trouble establishing
LotV in his garden (like me he's a beginner) and it was only after
reading up recently that I've discovered how invasive this plant can
be.

I've yet to get LotV to grow successfully in any garden I have ever had
and by now, that's quite a few!

Now I'm beginning to harbour similar qualms about JA which seems to be
spreading out on all sides with gleeful haste.

Do these propogate themselves in a similar fashion - as I understand
it through a network of rhizomes?

Is there a tried and tested way of keeping these under control?

Thanks for any advice

Japanese Anemones do spread rapidly but dig up the ones you don't want.
Personally, I'd leave them to do their own thing because I think
they're of great value in the garden, especially later in the year. So
unless they're smothering other things, can you live with them?
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com
Exotic plants, shrubs & perennials
South Devon

Old 06-05-2009, 04:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-05-06 12:08:46 +0100, bob said:

A little while ago a friend told me he was having trouble establishing
LotV in his garden (like me he's a beginner) and it was only after
reading up recently that I've discovered how invasive this plant can
be.

I've yet to get LotV to grow successfully in any garden I have ever had
and by now, that's quite a few!

I put mine up against a North facing wall in the worst clay/soil/
builders rubble imaginable. They increased like wabbits. Every spring
I dug out the ones that were sneaking towards the front of the border,
potted them up and sold them at boot sales - they were very popular
especially when in flower.
Old 06-05-2009, 04:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-05-06 12:08:46 +0100, bob said:

A little while ago a friend told me he was having trouble establishing
LotV in his garden (like me he's a beginner) and it was only after
reading up recently that I've discovered how invasive this plant can
be.

I've yet to get LotV to grow successfully in any garden I have ever had
and by now, that's quite a few!

I put mine up against a North facing wall in the worst clay/soil/
builders rubble imaginable. They increased like wabbits. Every spring
I dug out the ones that were sneaking towards the front of the border,
potted them up and sold them at boot sales - they were very popular
especially when in flower.

I have even resorted to getting someone else to plant them for me,
convinced that it's me they won't 'do' for. even that didn't work.
We've put them in all sorts of places here but with no luck so now I'm
going to do as you suggest and find the most inhospitable place I can
and try them there!

Old 06-05-2009, 05:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

--
"If toddlers can be taught to wait their turn and to say "please" and "thank
you," certainly can we reintroduce these phrases back into the adult
bob wrote in message news
A little while ago a friend told me he was having trouble establishing
LotV in his garden (like me he's a beginner) and it was only after
reading up recently that I've discovered how invasive this plant can
be.

Now I'm beginning to harbour similar qualms about JA which seems to be
spreading out on all sides with gleeful haste.

Do these propogate themselves in a similar fashion - as I understand
it through a network of rhizomes?

Is there a tried and tested way of keeping these under control?

Thanks for any advice

Lily of the Valley grows anywhere and anyone can grow it. We have it
spreading from a border into one of the gravel paths. But it is slow growing
and a hoe keeps it in control

Mike

Old 06-05-2009, 06:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote
I've yet to get LotV to grow successfully in any garden I have ever had
and by now, that's quite a few!

Thank goodness for that I thought it was just me.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 06-05-2009, 06:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

--
"If toddlers can be taught to wait their turn and to say "please" and "thank
you," certainly can we reintroduce these phrases back into the adult
vernacular?" Sree Pillai 2006
"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

"Sacha" wrote
I've yet to get LotV to grow successfully in any garden I have ever had
and by now, that's quite a few!

Thank goodness for that I thought it was just me.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden
just W. of London

Is it the variety? Lilly of the Valley grows as a weed in our garden and is
creeping across the gavel path

Mike

Old 06-05-2009, 06:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 6 May 2009 17:24:52 +0100, "'Mike'"
wrote:

Lily of the Valley grows anywhere and anyone can grow it. We have it
spreading from a border into one of the gravel paths. But it is slow growing
and a hoe keeps it in control

Mike

Oh well that doesn't sound so alarming. Thanks.
Old 06-05-2009, 06:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-05-06 12:08:46 +0100, bob said:

A little while ago a friend told me he was having trouble establishing
LotV in his garden (like me he's a beginner) and it was only after
reading up recently that I've discovered how invasive this plant can
be.

I've yet to get LotV to grow successfully in any garden I have ever had
and by now, that's quite a few!

It was already here when I arrived so I can't claim to have a gift.

Now I'm beginning to harbour similar qualms about JA which seems to be
spreading out on all sides with gleeful haste.

Do these propogate themselves in a similar fashion - as I understand
it through a network of rhizomes?

Is there a tried and tested way of keeping these under control?

Thanks for any advice

Japanese Anemones do spread rapidly but dig up the ones you don't want.
Personally, I'd leave them to do their own thing because I think
they're of great value in the garden, especially later in the year. So
unless they're smothering other things, can you live with them?
--

You're right, they're attractive and they seem to be amongst the last
to leave. I'll just try and keep them within bounds.

By the way, they get very tall and floppy, especially after rain. Is
there some sort of thingy you would recommend for support. Some time
ago I bought (have since lost) a bunch of stiff right-angled
plastic-covered wire things with an interlocking hook so you can build
several up into a polygon framework. Is there anything more
ingenious these days?
Old 06-05-2009, 06:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-05-06 18:07:37 +0100, "Bob Hobden" said:

"Sacha" wrote
I've yet to get LotV to grow successfully in any garden I have ever had
and by now, that's quite a few!

Thank goodness for that I thought it was just me.

Oh, Bob! I'm almost relieved to hear you say that! My only
reservation is that I'm sorry for you that you have the same problem!

Old 06-05-2009, 06:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-05-06 12:08:46 +0100, bob said:

[...]

I know the things you mean but I don't know if they're still made or if
there's something better around. We don't seem to have that problem
with our Japanese anemones - no idea why. Perhaps you could get hold
of some pea sticks and jam them into the ground before the new growth
really takes over. That way, they'll grow up amongst them and
effectively will hide the sticks.

Old 06-05-2009, 06:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Bob Hobden writes

"Sacha" wrote
I've yet to get LotV to grow successfully in any garden I have ever had
and by now, that's quite a few!

Thank goodness for that I thought it was just me.

I don't think I've ever managed to plant it, but it is growing well in
my garden. Heavy clay and total shade seems to be the key - under a
whitebeam (along with Cyclamen hederifolia), under a Magnolia stellata,
and under a japanese maple - though now the maple is spreading, the LoV
is trying to escape and reestablish under a weeping crab.

This is interesting, because of the two places I know it growing
abundantly in the wild, one is a wood, but the other is in clearings on
a limestone pavement - about as far from deep shade and heavy clay as
you can get!
--
Kay
Old 06-05-2009, 07:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

Lily of the Valley grows anywhere and anyone can grow it. We have it
spreading from a border into one of the gravel paths. But it is slow growing
and a hoe keeps it in control

Mike

Oh well that doesn't sound so alarming. Thanks.

Bob, I'm sorry to intervene here but I would caution you about taking
gardening advice from this man. He is one of urg's long-time trolls
with no gardening knowledge, though he claims his wife (who does not
post here) has some. You're being caught up in his current campaign to
get attention at any price. Lily of the Valley does NOT grow anywhere
by any means. Quite the contrary - some people find it very hard to get
established. Having planted over 2 dozen plants here over the last
couple of years, we had one solitary flower this year. If ease of
growth were the case my husband, a nurseryman of 60 years standing, Bob
Hobden, a highly experienced gardener and allotment holder and I, with
some years of gardening under my belt, would not be saying how
difficult it is for us to grow it in our gardens. You will become
accustomed to the people who post here and soon be able to judge the
value of their advice for yourself but the above is really, seriously
wrong and possibly discouraging to others. Sadly for urg, it's also
par for the course from this particular nuisance.

Old 06-05-2009, 07:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

bob wrote:
A little while ago a friend told me he was having trouble establishing
LotV in his garden (like me he's a beginner) and it was only after
reading up recently that I've discovered how invasive this plant can
be.

It is slowly invasive and grows in areas where other plants have problems
(like under rhododendrons), but I've never seen it crowd out anything else.
It flowers early, and a few cut sprigs will scent a room for a day or three.
Unless you don't like the scent, I can't imagine why anyone wouldn't like
it. But if you are worried it is too invasive, then try the variety known
as Vic Pawlowski's Gold. Possibly the best variegated leaf of any plant
(see photo he
http://www.rowdengardens.com/Convall...is%20Gold.jpg).
It grows much more slowly than the species, and is said to prefer some sun.
Mine grows happily enough in a pot in total shade.

Now I'm beginning to harbour similar qualms about JA which seems to be
spreading out on all sides with gleeful haste.

Do these propogate themselves in a similar fashion - as I understand
it through a network of rhizomes?

Is there a tried and tested way of keeping these under control?

Thanks for any advice

JA also slowly invasive, but flowers late when there often isn't much else
about. It's quite simple to dig up the young plants which appear where you
don't want them.

--
Jeff

Old 06-05-2009, 07:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

Lily of the Valley grows anywhere and anyone can grow it. We have it
spreading from a border into one of the gravel paths. But it is slow
growing
and a hoe keeps it in control

Mike

Oh well that doesn't sound so alarming. Thanks.

Bob, I'm sorry to intervene here

Well don't. You don't know our garden and sorry, but Lily of the Valley is
growing almost as a weed and spreading into the gravel path. Should you to
wish your representative to come and witness it, please tell them to email
me a suitable date.

Anyone else wishing to see Lilly of the Valley growing, almost as a weed,
are also invited to come and discuss the matter with my wife, an experienced
gardener.

Also, anyone else wishing to question anything I report from our garden, is
also invited to visit us. We put the kettle on and my wife talks .....
gardens and plants and has over 50 years of gardening experience. A small
garden but a wealth of plants and knowledge.

Kindest regards to all

Mike

Mona Lisa Solid Scarlet Poppy Flowered Anenome Paddy's Pig[_3_] Garden Photos 1 30-05-2009 12:20 AM
Lily of the valley and Hellebora scott United Kingdom 3 29-05-2005 08:59 PM
Lily of the Valley Gardening 13 25-05-2004 02:03 AM
Lily of the Valley 'pips'? Frogleg Gardening 4 26-04-2004 08:04 PM
Lily of the Valley Leslie Stringer United Kingdom 16 30-09-2003 08:13 PM