Old 06-05-2009, 05:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Roy Bailey Roy Bailey is offline

Default Beans...........to pole or not

In article , Bigal
writes
Last year I grew my runners on a wigwam made of canes. Placed the
canes in a circle or a square, lean them into the centre at the top and
tied them together with a length of cord.

Same here.

Had a good crop and no
problems.

Had a good crop but problems finding the tops of the plants in the
foliage to pinch out because the tops of the poles were so close
together, and it was also difficult finding the pods before they became
too big. I prefer the traditional double row.

I recommend hazel poles if you live in the country and have access to
some woodland. They grow very tall and straight and poles about 8 feet
long will give you a 6 ft high frame with plenty in the ground for
support. In some cases you can get a hazel pole with a fork in it, which
is very useful as a supporting pole.

We take the easy way out and don't have a vertical pole for each plant.
A smaller pole - normally bamboo - is tied horizontally about 6 inches
above the ground from one upright along to the next on both sides . Then
a length of twine is tied onto this horizontal at each plant and taken
over the top bar and down to the plant on the other side.

The beans will climb the twine as easily as a pole, and after harvest
dried haulms and twine are cut down and put on the compost heap.

New hazel poles will last for several years before becoming brittle,
when they make good firewood!

Roy.
--
Roy Bailey