Old 07-05-2009, 12:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default What's My Tree?

In message , Pam Moore
writes
On Sun, 3 May 2009 23:33:56 +0100, Candy
wrote:

beccabunga;842462 Wrote:
It is not Boston Ivy, but Virginia Creeper Parthenocissus quinquefolia.
It starts off on a small stem, but is a rampant climber, though less
aggressive than Boston Ivy. It is not a tree.

Ah, then it's definitely not that as it's grown about 8 inches in 2
years.. my dad's got that growing up the wall and you're right it is
rampant! here's another couple of pics..

http://tinyurl.com/c6fqxs

http://tinyurl.com/dmwp9z

Your new photos make me even more certain that it is parthenocissus.
The leaf joints are right. Mine was like yours, in a pot for a couple
of years, then I planted it by a fence and it GREW.

Pam in Bristol

An alternative possibility to Virginia Creeper is False Virginia Creeper
(Parthenocissus vitaceae syn Parthenocissus inserta). There are more
records of this in the wild in Britain, than of Virginia Creeper.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley