Old 04-05-2009, 09:34 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default What's My Tree?

On 2009-05-03 11:10:52 +0100, Candy
said:

Hi all, while weeding my old garden 2 years ago I found this tiny tree,
so i potted it up, but I don't know what it is, do you?

[image: http://i323.photobucket.com/albums/n...susH/tree.jpg]

Pure guess - probably wrong - some kind of maple?

Sorry, absolutely not a maple.

I'd guess Aesculus of some kind, maybe x neglecta for the indented
leaves.

-E
Old 04-05-2009, 11:01 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-05-03 11:10:52 +0100, Candy said:

Hi all, while weeding my old garden 2 years ago I found this tiny tree,
so i potted it up, but I don't know what it is, do you?

[image: http://i323.photobucket.com/albums/n...susH/tree.jpg]

Pure guess - probably wrong - some kind of maple?

Sorry, absolutely not a maple.

Well, I know you'd know. ;-)

I'd guess Aesculus of some kind, maybe x neglecta for the indented
leaves.

-E

I think the leaves are too pointed and too serrated for that. Maybe
Aesculus dentata?
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com
Exotic plants, shrubs & perennials
South Devon

Old 04-05-2009, 01:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-05-03 11:10:52 +0100, Candy
said:

Hi all, while weeding my old garden 2 years ago I found this tiny tree,
so i potted it up, but I don't know what it is, do you?

[image: http://i323.photobucket.com/albums/n...susH/tree.jpg]

Pure guess - probably wrong - some kind of maple?

Sorry, absolutely not a maple.

Well, I know you'd know. ;-)

The 2nd photo the OP posted actually shows that the leaves are
alternate. That rules out Acer, but also Aesculus. Both are
opposite.

Back to the drawing board...

-E
Old 04-05-2009, 02:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Candy writes

beccabunga;842462 Wrote:
It is not Boston Ivy, but Virginia Creeper Parthenocissus

quinquefolia.
It starts off on a small stem, but is a rampant climber, though less
aggressive than Boston Ivy. It is not a tree.

Ah, then it's definitely not that as it's grown about 8 inches in 2
years.. my dad's got that growing up the wall and you're right it is
rampant! here's another couple of pics..

http://tinyurl.com/c6fqxs

http://tinyurl.com/dmwp9z

It's looking less and less like a tree. Trees tend to have a leading
upright growth with branches sent off sideways. This one keeps
bifurcating. Everything about it says 'young climber' to me.

Even rampant plants very often start slowly while they build a good root
system as the foundation for future growth.

--
Candy

--
Kay
Old 04-05-2009, 02:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Sacha writes
On 2009-05-03 22:01:29 +0100, Pam Moore said:

On Sun, 3 May 2009 21:01:58 +0100, "Pete C"
wrote:

Pam Moore wrote:
On Sun, 3 May 2009 11:10:52 +0100, Candy
wrote:

Hi all, while weeding my old garden 2 years ago I found this tiny
tree, so i potted it up, but I don't know what it is, do you?
[image:
http://i323.photobucket.com/albums/n...susH/tree.jpg]
I think it is not a tree but a climber, Virginia Creeper
(Parthenocissus quinquefolia). Is that possible? Mine has leaves like
that and took a few years to get going.
Pam in Bristol
Surely, it should be 'going' after two years?

It needs encouragement to climb. (you know, get down to its level
and
whisper "you can do it"). Mine had nothing to climb and stayed quite
happily in its small pot. Once I planted it by a fence, whoosh, it
was off!
Pam in Bristol

Could be, I suppose but the serrations on the edge of the leaf look
very pronounced, to me.

Candy has posted another two pics in a response to comments on the
'spruce-winter kill' thread (unless it's my newsreader in a tangle).
It's looking more and more like a baby climber to me, and less and less
like a tree. I could be absolutely wrong, though ;-)
--
Kay

Old 04-05-2009, 02:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-05-03 11:10:52 +0100, Candy said:

Hi all, while weeding my old garden 2 years ago I found this tiny tree,
so i potted it up, but I don't know what it is, do you?

[image: http://i323.photobucket.com/albums/n...susH/tree.jpg]

Pure guess - probably wrong - some kind of maple?

Sorry, absolutely not a maple.

Well, I know you'd know. ;-)

The 2nd photo the OP posted actually shows that the leaves are
alternate. That rules out Acer, but also Aesculus. Both are
opposite.

Back to the drawing board...

-E

Second photo? Didn't see that..

Old 04-05-2009, 05:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 3 May 2009 23:33:56 +0100, Candy
wrote:

beccabunga;842462 Wrote:
It is not Boston Ivy, but Virginia Creeper Parthenocissus quinquefolia.
It starts off on a small stem, but is a rampant climber, though less
aggressive than Boston Ivy. It is not a tree.

Ah, then it's definitely not that as it's grown about 8 inches in 2
years.. my dad's got that growing up the wall and you're right it is
rampant! here's another couple of pics..

http://tinyurl.com/c6fqxs

http://tinyurl.com/dmwp9z

Your new photos make me even more certain that it is parthenocissus.
The leaf joints are right. Mine was like yours, in a pot for a couple
of years, then I planted it by a fence and it GREW.

Pam in Bristol
Old 04-05-2009, 07:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

Hi all, while weeding my old garden 2 years ago I found this tiny tree,
so i potted it up, but I don't know what it is, do you?

[image: http://i323.photobucket.com/albums/n...susH/tree.jpg]

I think it is not a tree but a climber, Virginia Creeper
(Parthenocissus quinquefolia). Is that possible? Mine has leaves like
that and took a few years to get going.

Pam in Bristol

Looks like my Virginia creepers.

mark

Old 04-05-2009, 10:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Emery Davis
writes

On 2009-05-03 11:10:52 +0100, Candy
said:

Hi all, while weeding my old garden 2 years ago I found this tiny tree,
so i potted it up, but I don't know what it is, do you?

[image: http://i323.photobucket.com/albums/n...susH/tree.jpg]

Pure guess - probably wrong - some kind of maple?

Sorry, absolutely not a maple.

Well, I know you'd know. ;-)

The 2nd photo the OP posted actually shows that the leaves are
alternate. That rules out Acer, but also Aesculus. Both are
opposite.

I don't find the photographs clear on the point.

Back to the drawing board...

Two points which we can't check, but the OP can. Firstly scale -
Aesculus leaves are rather larger than Parthenocissus leaves (at least
in my experience). Secondly the nature of the leaf scars. The horseshoe
leaf scar of Aesculus is said to be distinctive. She could also confirm
that the leaves are alternate.

-E

--
alias Ernest Major
Old 04-05-2009, 10:13 PM
Registered User

Location: Gloucester

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark View Post
wrote:

Hi all, while weeding my old garden 2 years ago I found this tiny tree,
so i potted it up, but I don't know what it is, do you?

[image:
http://i323.photobucket.com/albums/n...susH/tree.jpg]

I think it is not a tree but a climber, Virginia Creeper
(Parthenocissus quinquefolia). Is that possible? Mine has leaves like
that and took a few years to get going.

Pam in Bristol

Looks like my Virginia creepers.

mark
I'll trust all your expert opinions then (Apologies for the wierd thread posting, my PC is showing 3 threads in one and I can't read my weedkiller one!) Best I plant the 'tree' by nextdoor's cracking wall then, it might hold it up for another 100 years, lol!! Thanks everyone for your help, much appreciated!

Old 05-05-2009, 12:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
says...

Hi all, while weeding my old garden 2 years ago I found this tiny tree,
so i potted it up, but I don't know what it is, do you?

[image:
http://i323.photobucket.com/albums/n...susH/tree.jpg]

--
Candy

Looks like a young Parthenocissus quinquefolia
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk
Old 07-05-2009, 12:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Pam Moore
writes
wrote:

beccabunga;842462 Wrote:
It is not Boston Ivy, but Virginia Creeper Parthenocissus quinquefolia.
It starts off on a small stem, but is a rampant climber, though less
aggressive than Boston Ivy. It is not a tree.

Ah, then it's definitely not that as it's grown about 8 inches in 2
years.. my dad's got that growing up the wall and you're right it is
rampant! here's another couple of pics..

http://tinyurl.com/c6fqxs

http://tinyurl.com/dmwp9z

Your new photos make me even more certain that it is parthenocissus.
The leaf joints are right. Mine was like yours, in a pot for a couple
of years, then I planted it by a fence and it GREW.

Pam in Bristol

An alternative possibility to Virginia Creeper is False Virginia Creeper
(Parthenocissus vitaceae syn Parthenocissus inserta). There are more
records of this in the wild in Britain, than of Virginia Creeper.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley