Old 07-05-2009, 10:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Spider[_2_] Spider[_2_] is offline

Default identify please?

"Janet Tweedy" wrote in message
We are having trouble identifying a large shrub in a friend's garden. All
was well until the last Gardener's group visited the garden yesterday and
asked the name! Its leaves are very similar to a photonia in make and
shape but much paler and not nearly so red. the young growth or maybe the
intended growth is variegated white, yellow and green. The shrub stands
about 6 feet tall and as wide but knowing Sarah in whose garden it grows,
it won't be a normal run of the mill thing. I shall try to get pictures if
i can.
Growth is not suckering but does come from quite low down on the trunk.
I know you won't be able to give a definite identification but any
suggestions that we could look up?

Not Photinia of course
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph

Try Stranvaesia (once included with Photinia) and Leucothoe (esp.
L.fontanesiana 'Rainbow').

Spider