Old 07-05-2009, 03:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default identify please?

We are having trouble identifying a large shrub in a friend's garden.
All was well until the last Gardener's group visited the garden
yesterday and asked the name! Its leaves are very similar to a photonia
in make and shape but much paler and not nearly so red. the young growth
or maybe the intended growth is variegated white, yellow and green. The
shrub stands about 6 feet tall and as wide but knowing Sarah in whose
garden it grows, it won't be a normal run of the mill thing. I shall try
to get pictures if i can.
Growth is not suckering but does come from quite low down on the trunk.
I know you won't be able to give a definite identification but any
suggestions that we could look up?

Not Photinia of course
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
Old 07-05-2009, 10:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Janet Tweedy" wrote in message
[...]

Try Stranvaesia (once included with Photinia) and Leucothoe (esp.
L.fontanesiana 'Rainbow').

Spider

Old 08-05-2009, 08:41 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Spider
writes

Try Stranvaesia (once included with Photinia) and Leucothoe (esp.
L.fontanesiana 'Rainbow').

Spider

Not Leucothoe it's too big for that, rather a small tree than a ground
cover plant and the variegation on Rainbow is lots of spots of cream
isn't it? Whereas this has patches of different colour like Actinidia
kolomikta though the leaves are more elongated than round.

However Stranvaesia 'palette' sounds a very likely candidate so thanks
very much for the help!

Off to tell the Gardening Which Group that asked ..................