Old 08-05-2009, 02:44 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Kurt Ullman Kurt Ullman is offline

Default What fertilizer for new grass planting?

In article
,
wrote:

On May 7, 10:13*pm, bobmct wrote:
I battled grubs last year and applied the recommended chems and now
the remaining grass seems OK. *I've dug up all the dead grass and
roots and softened the soil to about 6-8 inches.

I plan on trying Scotts new coated seed but I was wondering what other
chems/fertilizer I should mix in before laying the seen down?

I live in central/eastern Connecticut.

Thanks

Get a bag of starter fertilizer and apply it at the listed rate. It
has NPK, but is lower in nitrogen and higher in PK, to help develop
roots. Any brand will do, no need to pay for a name brand.

I have a 25 year old lawn that is starting to die back despite
fertilizing and aerating over the years. Would a round with starter
fertilizer help any?

--
"Distracting a politician from governing
is like distracting a bear from eating your baby."

--PJ O'Rourke