Old 14-04-2003, 03:08 PM
Nina Shishkoff

Default [IBC] How to grow - was - Why I dislike Serissa

Were we to do that, Khaimraj, we'd all have to move to T&T. I
doubt there'll ever be an "S" with a 5-inch trunk up here in the
temperate zone -- though I could be wrong -- even though Serissa
is not truly a tropical plant.

I was amazed to see Serissas growing on the grounds of the Bronx
Botanical Garden- I think a lot more people could overwinter their
Serissas outdoors than think they could, and the Serissas would
probably be happier if they did. These plants, however, were only a
foot or so tall- they didn't look like they would ever reach 6 feet
tall.

If we could visit the natural habitat of a Serissa, the Chinese
subtropical forest, we'd probably have a better grasp of how to take
care of the thing. The Brooklyn Botanical Garden has a subtropical
greenhouse, and yes, they have Serissas in it, along with a bunch of
other plants familiar to us as houseplants. I can't emphasize this
enough: it's possible to grow anything anywhere as long as you
understand the plant's growth requirements and give it what it needs.

Nina, who met a man this weekend who had kept a Juniper indoors for 7
years before it died!!!!!

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++