Old 09-05-2009, 03:30 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Default What fertilizer for new grass planting?

On May 8, 4:04*pm, "Steve" wrote:
"Kurt Ullman" wrote in message

... In article ,
Steve wrote:

I'm not saying PH is the trouble you're having with your turf not
responding but, I wouldn't discount it either.

*Who do I talk to about the soil sample?

Where do you live? Or google your state about soil testing.

You''ll need the instructions on how to sample and send it.

Some states have county agicultural services that provide soil test
services for about $15. Lesco, if there is one near you, does too.

But the kits you can buy online or at garden centers work fine for
testing PH. I would not rely on them for anything else. You can
also use a ph test kit for spas/pools. Just put about a 1/4 of a
tube worth of soil in it, then add distilled water and the test
chemical.

A PH around 6.5 is the target.

Starter fertilizer isn't going to do much to rejuvenate a 25 year old
lawn with problems. If you have fescues for example, the plants don't
spread to form new ones. What's there can expand and grow larger,
but if it;s taken a big hit and is on the decline, best to either
overseed or kill it and start over in the Fall