Old 12-05-2009, 12:19 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Tim Jesson Tim Jesson is offline

Default Tumbler tomatoes

"Ophelia" wrote in message
I bought some plants and until now, I have kept them on a windowsil.
They seem to be thriving I intend to plant them in a basket (the
old type shopping basket) using polystyrene as a base and I bought
the kind of compost used for hanging baskets.

Should I buy the gel thingies that hold in the water?

I bought tomato feed too. When should I begin to use it?

Apologies for my possible daft questions, but many thanks for any
help!

If you mulched the soil, you wouldn't need the gel - but gel is fine
and really does work well if you can't water for two or three days.

The feed is targeted at setting and establishing the fruit. Don't feed
until the first flowers are out. Before then, a general purpose feed
will give the roots and leaves a good boost. The compost they are
grown in probably has nutrients for 6 weeks or so but most plants will
be nearer 10-12 weeks at planting out - so a general purpose feed
before planting out is a help.

Only feed weekly otherwise the fruit won't mature as quickly -
especially if the feed is very high in nitrogen such as seaweed based
products.

actually, in my test group two years ago, there was precious little
difference in yield between plants fed weekly, not at all, daily and
even grown upside down :-) The tomato is a hardier beast than is made
out! Most of their problems are in our heads!

TJ