Old 11-05-2009, 09:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Tumbler tomatoes

I bought some plants and until now, I have kept them on a windowsil. They
seem to be thriving I intend to plant them in a basket (the old type
shopping basket) using polystyrene as a base and I bought the kind of
compost used for hanging baskets.

Should I buy the gel thingies that hold in the water?

I bought tomato feed too. When should I begin to use it?

Apologies for my possible daft questions, but many thanks for any help!

Old 11-05-2009, 10:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Ophelia wrote:
I bought some plants and until now, I have kept them on a windowsil. They
seem to be thriving I intend to plant them in a basket (the
old type shopping basket) using polystyrene as a base and I bought
the kind of compost used for hanging baskets.

Should I buy the gel thingies that hold in the water?

I bought tomato feed too. When should I begin to use it?

Apologies for my possible daft questions, but many thanks for any
help!

Yep, gel thingys are good. I feed weekly when in flower......but that's me

--
Pete C
London UK

Old 12-05-2009, 12:19 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Ophelia" wrote in message
I bought some plants and until now, I have kept them on a windowsil.
They seem to be thriving I intend to plant them in a basket (the
old type shopping basket) using polystyrene as a base and I bought
the kind of compost used for hanging baskets.

Should I buy the gel thingies that hold in the water?

I bought tomato feed too. When should I begin to use it?

Apologies for my possible daft questions, but many thanks for any
help!

If you mulched the soil, you wouldn't need the gel - but gel is fine
and really does work well if you can't water for two or three days.

The feed is targeted at setting and establishing the fruit. Don't feed
until the first flowers are out. Before then, a general purpose feed
will give the roots and leaves a good boost. The compost they are
grown in probably has nutrients for 6 weeks or so but most plants will
be nearer 10-12 weeks at planting out - so a general purpose feed
before planting out is a help.

Only feed weekly otherwise the fruit won't mature as quickly -
especially if the feed is very high in nitrogen such as seaweed based
products.

actually, in my test group two years ago, there was precious little
difference in yield between plants fed weekly, not at all, daily and
even grown upside down :-) The tomato is a hardier beast than is made
out! Most of their problems are in our heads!

TJ

Old 12-05-2009, 08:05 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Pete C wrote:
Ophelia wrote:
I bought some plants and until now, I have kept them on a windowsil.
They seem to be thriving I intend to plant them in a basket (the
old type shopping basket) using polystyrene as a base and I bought
the kind of compost used for hanging baskets.

Should I buy the gel thingies that hold in the water?

I bought tomato feed too. When should I begin to use it?

Apologies for my possible daft questions, but many thanks for any
help!

Yep, gel thingys are good. I feed weekly when in flower......but
that's me

Thank you, thank you)

Old 12-05-2009, 08:09 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Tim Jesson wrote:
"Ophelia" wrote in message
[...]

Many thanks TJ) I have saved this for future reference.

I will be planting them in a wicker shopping basket using the light compost
used for hanging baskets. Can I can mulch with that? But, this is all
knowledge I will need for when I have the proper space)

All advice about feeding will be utilised forthwith))

Thanks

Old 12-05-2009, 06:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Ophelia" wrote in message
Tim Jesson wrote:
"Ophelia" wrote in message
[...]

In a basket like that grass clippings would be a great mulch. They
will keep the water in for the toms and provide a nitrogen supplement
when rotting. Torn paper, shredded hedge trimmings, even bark make a
pratical mulch for this situation alone but better in combination.

I've never been into the 'best' solution for this kind of stuff! Just
follow your nose and see if it works OK. The worst that can happen is
you'll have to water more frequently. For me grass works with tomatoes
because there is a large area relative to the plant stem size. If the
basket were crowded with lots of flowers gel would be a whole lot
better.

I hope the toms do really well :-)

TJ

Old 12-05-2009, 08:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Tim Jesson wrote:
"Ophelia" wrote in message
Tim Jesson wrote:
"Ophelia" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks very much, TJ I have it planted up now! I used Vermiculite
because they didn't have any of that gel in the garden centre I went to
today. So, in my basket I have 6 tomato plants and a few sweet pea plants

If it grows ok, I will take some pics and post a url for them

I have saved your ideas for future projects!

Many thanks again

Old 12-05-2009, 09:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On May 12, 8:41*pm, "Ophelia" wrote:
Tim Jesson wrote:
"Ophelia" wrote in message
Tim Jesson wrote:
"Ophelia" wrote in message
[...]

..
Goodness O, you will need a lot of feed for 6 plants and you will need
to water a.m and p.m. but you will be making pickle when you can't
keep up with the surplus. Any ideas for a surplus of eggs? :-)

Judith
Old 13-05-2009, 07:52 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Judith in France wrote:
Goodness O, you will need a lot of feed for 6 plants and you will need
to water a.m and p.m. but you will be making pickle when you can't
keep up with the surplus.

lol, well I suppose I could do that Don't forget these are very small
tomatoes I am hoping they will be very sweet and that David will like
them so much, that he will pop one in his mouth whenever he passes Tomato
is very good for preventing prostate cancer and this is cunning plan to get
loads of the little beauties into his tum

Any ideas for a surplus of eggs? :-)

Errrr...pickled? g