Old 14-04-2003, 05:21 PM
Theo Asir

Default Did I KILL all my Roses?

Shiva you are right.
Compost/Soil is just the
thing to cover the graft from cold.

Mulch does not really help there.
Mulch does help keep the cold
in during unseasonable warmth.

The plastic pot was what did it in though.

--
Theo in Zone 5
Kansas City

"Shiva" wrote in message
s.com...
On Fri, 11 Apr 2003 14:15:05 GMT, "Theo Asir"
wrote:

All recomendations typically
ask for covering w/ compost.

Theo. This is the first I have ever heard of compost being just the
thing for this. In fact, I would say that all recomendations usually
call for winter protecting with soil or mulch. ??? Not to mention the
fact that not everyone composts. Mulch and soil are fine for winter
protecting--the poster just overdid it with the plastic etc, don't you
think?

And the the plastic pots holds the moisture in as you
are learning.

--
Theo in Zone 5
Kansas City

"SBHCOM" wrote in message
I think I messed up bad, this was the first year I winterized roses (I

live in
Michigan). I cut them down to about 6 inches from the ground and then

placed
old plastic pots on top of them. I then cut slits in the top and

filled
them
with black pine mulch. When I removed the pots yesterday I found the

roses in
terrible shape, the stems seem to all have rotted. I think I really

screwed up

A pipe gives a wise man time to think and a dumb man something to stick

in
his
mouth.