Old 14-04-2003, 05:32 PM
Snowman

Default Protecting my apples?

I have a fairly small apple tree in the garden, which produces really sweet
eating apples - that is when they get the change to ripen. The problem is
that as soon as they are starting to ripen, the birds come along and peck
them, which then allows the wasps in. Over the years I've had very few
apples.

Last year I made a cut-out silhouette of a bird-of-prey and stuck it on a
cane at the nearby end of the greenhouse - which had some effect, we managed
to get some apples, but still many were attacked. I've tried talking to the
cat, to get him to stand guard, but he just went back to sleep. Does anyone
have any other suggestions? I don't really want to cover it with netting.

Peter.