Old 14-04-2003, 05:32 PM
Snowman

Default Protecting my apples?

I have a fairly small apple tree in the garden, which produces really sweet
eating apples - that is when they get the change to ripen. The problem is
that as soon as they are starting to ripen, the birds come along and peck
them, which then allows the wasps in. Over the years I've had very few
apples.

Last year I made a cut-out silhouette of a bird-of-prey and stuck it on a
cane at the nearby end of the greenhouse - which had some effect, we managed
to get some apples, but still many were attacked. I've tried talking to the
cat, to get him to stand guard, but he just went back to sleep. Does anyone
have any other suggestions? I don't really want to cover it with netting.

Peter.

Old 14-04-2003, 08:32 PM
Warwick Dumas

"Snowman" wrote in message
I have a fairly small apple tree in the garden, which produces really

sweet
eating apples - that is when they get the change to ripen. The problem is
that as soon as they are starting to ripen, the birds come along and peck
them, which then allows the wasps in. Over the years I've had very few
apples.

Last year I made a cut-out silhouette of a bird-of-prey and stuck it on a
cane at the nearby end of the greenhouse - which had some effect, we

managed
to get some apples, but still many were attacked. I've tried talking to

the
cat, to get him to stand guard, but he just went back to sleep. Does

anyone
have any other suggestions? I don't really want to cover it with netting.

I think that's the only solution, although obviously CDs and stuff can have
a temporary effect. But surely wasps could still attack apples without
waiting for birds? You might want to look at any ways of making it a less
wasp-friendly location - can you make sure they are not nesting right near
it? (I know they go a long way to find stuff, but I guess the further it is
from them, the better.)

Old 14-04-2003, 11:44 PM
Snowman

"Warwick Dumas" wrote in message

I think that's the only solution, although obviously CDs and stuff can

have
a temporary effect. But surely wasps could still attack apples without
waiting for birds? You might want to look at any ways of making it a less
wasp-friendly location - can you make sure they are not nesting right near
it? (I know they go a long way to find stuff, but I guess the further it

is
from them, the better.)

I had the impression - maybe wrongly - that the wasps couldn't get through
the skin until it was broken by the birds. If they can, then I've obviously
got two problems.

Peter.

Protecting blueberry bushes from birds B. Joshua Rosen Edible Gardening 12 09-07-2003 07:52 PM
Protecting Blueberries Rick McGreal United Kingdom 31 21-06-2003 09:56 PM
Protecting Plums Jim Gardening 3 24-05-2003 10:20 PM
Protecting undergound electrical cabling? Paul Hutchings United Kingdom 17 21-04-2003 01:33 PM
Freeze-Protecting Newly planted tree ratSenoL Texas 0 05-04-2003 11:10 AM