Old 13-05-2009, 05:50 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
sherwin dubren sherwin dubren is offline

Default Easy Vegetable/fruit gardening for children

Richard Elsmore wrote:
Hi All,

I am novice gardener and only have planted shrubs, climbers etc but
would like to grow some fruit or vegetables with my 3 year old
daughter. Can anyone suggest easy ones to start with and can I plant a
small plant to start with rather than seeds as I was very unscuceesful
last year with my sunflower seeds and none grew. I planted first from
seed in a tray indoors then transferred to the ground but they did not
last at all they seemed too fragile.

Many thanks

I think you would have better luck starting sunflower seeds in the
ground. Just be sure your soil is warm. Sunflowers I planted in
the ground here in the Chicago area two weeks ago are already
about one inch high. Be sure to keep them moist, especially at
their early stages of growth. You will get the best results with
fresh seeds for this year. My radishes and lettuce also came up.
Tomatoes seem to be easy for me to grow from seed under lights.
Giving them a moderate amount of heat seems to help them get to
germinate. I find that too much or too little heat doesn't work.
I just set up my cold frame for tomatoes, as the night time
temperatures here are still in the forties, so I am moving mine
from the house to the frame to acclimate them.

Fruits like apples and pears take a few years, but are quicker to
fruit on dwarf rootstocks. You might try some berries like
raspberries or strawberries, but they can take about a year to give
fruit. Be sure to put them in a sunny spot for best production.

Sherwin