Old 13-05-2009, 06:53 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Easy Vegetable/fruit gardening for children

Richard Elsmore wrote:
Hi All,

I am novice gardener and only have planted shrubs, climbers etc but
would like to grow some fruit or vegetables with my 3 year old
daughter. Can anyone suggest easy ones to start with and can I plant a
small plant to start with rather than seeds as I was very unscuceesful
last year with my sunflower seeds and none grew. I planted first from
seed in a tray indoors then transferred to the ground but they did not
last at all they seemed too fragile.

Many thanks

People always suggest radishes but few kids like to eat them and if they get
too big (easily done) nobody else does either. Also a bunch of leaves (and
hidden root) isn't so interesting. A fruit tree, or a plant that produces
a recognisable common "fruit" will probably take too long to maintain
interest.

If you have a sunny spot try beans (green or string beans not broad beans).
The seed is big and you can clearly see it shoot and they almost grow as you
watch them, then within a few weeks you have a whole plant with all the
interesting bits (stem, leaf, flower and fruit) right there, you can tell
her simple stories about them and what they do. I know you wanted to start
with a plant but starting with seeds makes a much better story, you can even
let some pods mature and produce seeds. This is true magic! Trust me these
are easy to grow.

You only need a few and they are typically pretty hardy plants. You could
put them in a pot if there is no suitable spot in the ground. If you have
the climbing sort a trellis for a small number is easily made from odds and
ends, or get the bush sort. You never know she might grow up eating her
greens without complaint!

David