Old 14-04-2003, 06:20 PM
Cass

Default If Not E. Veyrat Hermanos, What?

In article tDsma.177768$OV.258773@rwcrnsc54, Allegra
wrote:

"Cass" wrote

Thanks, Allegra. I have some cuttings and will take more. The video
store knows nothing: they describe it as "just a wild rose." But
then it occurred to me that I'd better look at ramblers - because
that button eye is apparent in many Barbier ramblers and because I
don't remember seeing this rose flower at other times of the year.
But in my mind's eye, that is not rambler foliage: it is noisette
foliage.

Any pink glow to Gloire de Dijon? Button eye? There are apparently
many very good GdD offspring that are better than the parent.
Pictures are, again, hard to come by.

I'll get Alice's input, I hope.

Hello again,

funny because at first sight I thought it could have been either
Primavere or Leontine Gervais with too much sun exposure ;) Gloire
de Dijon has very little if any pink to it that I know from personal
experience. It has the color of sabayon left to dry in the surface,
that opaque dense and yet somehow translucent yellow that it is not
yellow but the soft creamy and dark color of wet chamois. In full sun
turns into one of the Kimberly- Clark hybrids and blows to kingdom
come in the most disagreeable shade. But given morning sun and
afternoon dappled shade it is really a joy of a rose.

My experience with most Barbiers come from my grandmother's house in
Provence, hence the reference to Primavere that I have never found
here. I have seen what passes or pretends to be Primavere, but it is
a Spring of a different color than the one growing in Provence.
Again, soil, cultivation practices and sun may be more influential
factors than what we like to believe. Leontine Gervais is more like
your found beauty.

Are the flowers this large? 3 to 3-1/2" ? And the leaves? I only saw it
growing once, I think, and I was surprised at the foliage. But I don't
remember why. Heh heh. You can just feel the mildew about to bust out
on this one, eh?

http://home.attbi.com/~cassbernstein.../PinkTones.jpg

Depending on how cool the weather is it can appear
to have here and there a touch of pink, but what I really think that
happens there is that somehow due to climate or soil it has somehow
picked up a recessive gene from either one of the once removed
parents or grandparents and acquired that tinge of pink. What is the
fragrance? To my nose anyway if not all, the majority of the Gervais
smell of apples. Not the leaves but the fruity scent of an apple when
it hits your nose after you take the first bite.

Definite fragrance. Reminds me of cutex nail polish remover - which I
associate with all noisettes.

What fragrance do you detect? It must be a rambler after all, and as
far as wild, well, unless they are in the middle of nowhere, a new
construction has to have been pretty good and sane to protect a rose
among the rumbling of bulldozers and construction equipment, né? So
we have to assume that it was somehow either planted there after the
place was constructed or it was there and the place was built around
it. I am sure the guys at the video place wouldn't have the
slightest,

I interpreted their comment about "wild rose" to mean once blooming
after I had a moment to reflect on it. I'm going back to ask someone.
There's a drive-thru espresso place right there (the source of the
green umbrella), and the video guy told me the espresso folks "take
care of" the rose. I drove by that video store for the 8 years I
communted to the city, and I don't remember seeing it repeat...but
maybe I wasn't looking.

but if you have the time and the inclination some time a
fast look at municipal records (readily available at your county
library or the "hysterical society" where you live, may bring forth
some info about what existed there before and maybe even some link to
some older member of the community who may know something about it).

Grumble grumble grumble I have a real bee in my bonnet about the County
Recorder's office, so unhelpful, such lousy hours, such sycophants,
such bad attitudes.

One good way is to check both churches and cemeteries around to see
if you find another example. If it turns out to be a sport,
likelihood is that you are not going to find another like that beauty
of yours. And that will deepen the mystery, but I will like to know
the color of the foliage, prickles, how many petals, fragrance and of
course for the heck of it, rub the leaves and see what they smell of
if anything.

Apple green foliage, tender. 3 and 5-leave leaflets, no 7's. Terminal
leaf much larger than the other 4. One or two tiny prickles on the back
of the petiole. Rather small stipules, no fringes on the sides. 80+
petals, counting petaloids. Rather small receptacle, only about 1.5 cm
tall, .75 cm wide. Lots of sulfur yellow in the petals once removed.
Sepals mostly smooth with a single tiny fringe on 2 of the 5.

A new pictu

http://home.attbi.com/~cassbernstein...fletRecept.jpg

Don't you just love a mystery? She who does....

I do...You saw the whole page of pix, I trust:
http://home.attbi.com/~cassbernstein...s/TamGlow.html