Old 14-05-2009, 08:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
alan.holmes alan.holmes is offline

Default Hazel Nuts

"Dave Hill" wrote in message
On 14 May, 13:02, K wrote:
writes

In article ,
Plum wrote:
A squirrel visits my neighbour's hazel bush every autumn and kindly
buries
some of his booty in my garden. I now have two baby hazel bushes. Does
anyone know how big they have to be or how many years it is before they
fruit? The neighbour doesn't know as the bush was there when he bought
the
house.

Fairly big, I am afraid - mine didn't until 10' plus. It's not all
that many years in good conditions (5 or so?), but hazel is not a small
shrub nor a short-lived one.

And they won't flower unless they get some sun.

A, that's the problem with mine, then! The squirrel only plants in the
shade. Out with them all!

But my contorted hazel, on the north side of the greenhouse, flowers
profusely every year, so the sun requirement can't be *that* huge.

--
Kay

I wouldn't bother if I were you.
The squirrel planted them and you can be sure that his/her decendants
will have every nut the bushes ever produce.

You can always catch and despatch them, the tree rats that is.

Alan

David Hill