Old 14-05-2009, 11:35 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Default Hazel Nuts

Plum writes
A squirrel visits my neighbour's hazel bush every autumn and kindly
buries some of his booty in my garden. I now have two baby hazel
bushes. Does anyone know how big they have to be or how many years it
is before they fruit? The neighbour doesn't know as the bush was there
when he bought the house.

Seems to be quite a long while - some of mine are several (5 or more)
yeas old without fruit. I'm starting to be much more ruthless in getting
rid of them!

--
Kay
Old 14-05-2009, 11:35 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Plum wrote:
A squirrel visits my neighbour's hazel bush every autumn and kindly buries
some of his booty in my garden. I now have two baby hazel bushes. Does
anyone know how big they have to be or how many years it is before they
fruit? The neighbour doesn't know as the bush was there when he bought the
house.

Fairly big, I am afraid - mine didn't until 10' plus. It's not all
that many years in good conditions (5 or so?), but hazel is not a small
shrub nor a short-lived one.

And they won't flower unless they get some sun.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 14-05-2009, 05:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On 14 May, 13:02, K wrote:
writes

In article ,
Plum wrote:
A squirrel visits my neighbour's hazel bush every autumn and kindly buries
some of his booty in my garden. *I now have two baby hazel bushes. *Does
anyone know how big they have to be or how many years it is before they
fruit? *The neighbour doesn't know as the bush was there when he bought the
house.

Fairly big, I am afraid - mine didn't until 10' plus. *It's not all
that many years in good conditions (5 or so?), but hazel is not a small
shrub nor a short-lived one.

And they won't flower unless they get some sun.

A, that's the problem with mine, then! The squirrel only plants in the
shade. Out with them all!

But my contorted hazel, on the north side of the greenhouse, flowers
profusely every year, so the sun requirement can't be *that* huge.

--
Kay

I wouldn't bother if I were you.
The squirrel planted them and you can be sure that his/her decendants
will have every nut the bushes ever produce.
David Hill

Old 14-05-2009, 06:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Dave Hill writes

I wouldn't bother if I were you.
The squirrel planted them and you can be sure that his/her decendants
will have every nut the bushes ever produce.

We've only got a couple of squirrels - I get a good share of the ones on
the contorted hazel.

In an urban environment, squirrels are not the problem that they are in
a more rural environment.
--
Kay

Old 14-05-2009, 08:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Plum" wrote in message
om...
A squirrel visits my neighbour's hazel bush every autumn and kindly buries
some of his booty in my garden. I now have two baby hazel bushes. Does
anyone know how big they have to be or how many years it is before they
fruit? The neighbour doesn't know as the bush was there when he bought the
house.

About 12 feet high and 10 feet across, but if you have room they are well
worth while.

Alan

Old 14-05-2009, 08:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Dave Hill" wrote in message
On 14 May, 13:02, K wrote:
writes

In article ,
Plum wrote:
[...]

You can always catch and despatch them, the tree rats that is.

Alan

David Hill

Old 14-05-2009, 08:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
alan.holmes wrote:
"Plum" wrote in message
news:Z4KdnfYjO8VTdJbXnZ2dnUVZ8radnZ2d@brightview. com...

A squirrel visits my neighbour's hazel bush every autumn and kindly buries
some of his booty in my garden. I now have two baby hazel bushes. Does
anyone know how big they have to be or how many years it is before they
fruit? The neighbour doesn't know as the bush was there when he bought the
house.

About 12 feet high and 10 feet across, but if you have room they are well
worth while.

I pruned my hazel last year, and stocked up on firewood - and some
it it had to be split :-)

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 14-05-2009, 08:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

alan.holmes writes

You can always catch and despatch them, the tree rats that is.

I don't want to. It's an urban garden, and they're the only
approximation to wildlife that we ever see. Haven't even seen a hedgehog
for the last few years.
--
Kay

hazel nuts NogbadtheCool United Kingdom 8 02-01-2010 05:26 PM
Purple Hazel - Are the nuts edible Andrew Newton United Kingdom 1 11-09-2006 02:17 PM
Hazel nuts Don Phillipson Gardening 2 23-07-2005 08:11 PM
Germinating Hazel nuts from seed ?? advice plz gray United Kingdom 7 20-01-2005 01:32 PM
Bare Rooted Hazel Chris Stewart United Kingdom 1 31-10-2002 11:33 PM