Old 15-05-2009, 05:59 AM posted to rec.gardens
Garrapata Garrapata is offline

Default Tiny ants, part II

Ok, I've tried using pulverized limestone, plus a number of other
suggestions, like pepper powder, and cinnamon. It really did little more
than make a mess of my kitchen, and the area right outside our house. The
ants are still all over the kitchen.

At this point, I would simply like to know what sort of granular pesticide
I can buy to put on the soil near our house to make sure that any ants
nearby in the soil are killed, and stay killed. It looks like Diazinon has
been withdrawn, and that would have been my first choice in the past.

The trouble with diazinon and similar pesticides is they kill too
quickly. you need something that they take back to the nest and gets
distributed to all of them.
I've been out of the business for a while and haven't kept up with what
is available but boric acid powder mixed with sugar or grease is an old
standard and I have had good luck with Grant's ant stakes
--

09=ix