Old 15-05-2009, 06:14 AM posted to sci.bio.botany
[email protected] plutonium.archimedes@gmail.com is offline

Default how do bulbs get buried so deep? pick-axe in transplanting

Well, I almost ruined another spade today as using it for leverage.
And am happily on the way to transplanting most of the asparagus.

My transplanting is to save those which have been crowded out
from sunlight such as tulips, peonies, lilies, rhubarb and asparagus.
And some black walnut trees.

I should be done by now in the middle of May, but only 2/3 done.
I never realized how much there was to transplant.

And the pick-axe has been valuable for the asparagus clumps.

But I was wondering how in the world do bulbs of tulips, lilies get
buried so deep. I never planted them that deep but they seem
to go deeper and deeper. Do they somehow sense how deep
they need to be in order to survive winter?

Also, I am convinced that the best orchard and lawns are with
animals pastured so as to continually fertilize the grounds.
My grass is the greenest and healthiest after two years of horse,
donkey, Llama. It is mostly their urine. And it requires some
protection to some plants such as bushes and low lying
trees.

I have found that small horses are the best since they do the
least damage to landscaping and stick mostly to eating grasses.

I tried Scottish highlander cow and bull and could see that it
was not going to work with the landscaping.

Archimedes Plutonium
www.iw.net/~a_plutonium