Old 15-05-2009, 03:31 PM posted to rec.gardens
David E. Ross David E. Ross is offline

Default Climbers for shade

On 5/15/2009 4:27 AM, Jeff wrote:
Billy wrote:
In article ,
"Freckles" wrote:

I am trying to find a vine/climber that will grow in an area that receives
only about 2 or 3 hours of sunlight per day. I have found many that will
grow in full or partial sun, but none that will grow where I want to plant
them.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Freckles

I have tons of this myself. I planted just a couple sprigs back in a
heavily shaded section a few years ago and it is now very dense.

The problem is that this can be quite invasive, the only thing it
doesn't seem to like is full sun. I spent a good deal of yesterday
chopping it back and pulling it off trees, more of the same today!

And if you like invasive, there's wysteria, which seems to like a few
hours of sun.

Jeff

If you want English ivy but are concerned about it growing too
vigorously, consider Hahn's ivy (Hedera helix 'Hahn's'). It's a dwarf
version of English ivy. Of course it will take longer to cover or climb.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean