Old 15-05-2009, 04:28 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Climbers for shade

I am trying to find a vine/climber that will grow in an area that receives
only about 2 or 3 hours of sunlight per day. I have found many that will
grow in full or partial sun, but none that will grow where I want to plant
them.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Freckles

Old 15-05-2009, 06:44 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
"Freckles" wrote:

I am trying to find a vine/climber that will grow in an area that receives
only about 2 or 3 hours of sunlight per day. I have found many that will
grow in full or partial sun, but none that will grow where I want to plant
them.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Freckles

Feckless, is that you? Humph. Well a professional is a professional, I
suppose. Try English Ivy. It won't grow quickly in shadow but it will
grow with just a bit of Sun. I'm trying to fill in 40 ft. of chain link
fence, underneath oak and bay trees (heaps of shade). It will probably
take another couple of years. Sounds like you have more Sun, so it
shouldn't take that long.
--

- Billy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=En2TzBE0lp4

Old 15-05-2009, 12:27 PM posted to rec.gardens

Billy wrote:
In article ,
"Freckles" wrote:

I am trying to find a vine/climber that will grow in an area that receives
only about 2 or 3 hours of sunlight per day. I have found many that will
grow in full or partial sun, but none that will grow where I want to plant
them.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Freckles

Feckless, is that you? Humph. Well a professional is a professional, I
suppose. Try English Ivy.

I have tons of this myself. I planted just a couple sprigs back in a
heavily shaded section a few years ago and it is now very dense.

The problem is that this can be quite invasive, the only thing it
doesn't seem to like is full sun. I spent a good deal of yesterday
chopping it back and pulling it off trees, more of the same today!

And if you like invasive, there's wysteria, which seems to like a few
hours of sun.

Jeff

Old 15-05-2009, 03:12 PM posted to rec.gardens

Virginia creeper.
http://images.google.com/images?hl=e...-8&sa=N&tab=wi

On Thu, 14 May 2009 22:28:50 -0500, "Freckles" wrote:

I am trying to find a vine/climber that will grow in an area that receives
only about 2 or 3 hours of sunlight per day. I have found many that will
grow in full or partial sun, but none that will grow where I want to plant
them.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Freckles

Somewhere between zone 5 and 6 tucked along the shore of Lake Michigan
on the council grounds of the Fox, Mascouten, Potawatomi, and Winnebago
Old 15-05-2009, 03:31 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 5/15/2009 4:27 AM, Jeff wrote:
Billy wrote:
In article ,
"Freckles" wrote:

I am trying to find a vine/climber that will grow in an area that receives
only about 2 or 3 hours of sunlight per day. I have found many that will
grow in full or partial sun, but none that will grow where I want to plant
them.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Freckles

I have tons of this myself. I planted just a couple sprigs back in a
heavily shaded section a few years ago and it is now very dense.

The problem is that this can be quite invasive, the only thing it
doesn't seem to like is full sun. I spent a good deal of yesterday
chopping it back and pulling it off trees, more of the same today!

And if you like invasive, there's wysteria, which seems to like a few
hours of sun.

Jeff

If you want English ivy but are concerned about it growing too
vigorously, consider Hahn's ivy (Hedera helix 'Hahn's'). It's a dwarf
version of English ivy. Of course it will take longer to cover or climb.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean

Old 15-05-2009, 08:51 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
Jeff wrote:

Billy wrote:
In article ,
"Freckles" wrote:

[...]

Thanks, I have both, fortunately they are bordered on one side by a
street and on the other by my garden, where it is duly noted and whacked
when it presents a problem (usually once a year).

Old 17-05-2009, 01:35 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freckles[_5_] View Post
I am trying to find a vine/climber that will grow in an area that receives
only about 2 or 3 hours of sunlight per day. I have found many that will
grow in full or partial sun, but none that will grow where I want to plant
them.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Freckles
Hi Freckles, although it depends on how high you want the climber to grow & against what support, how about trying some periwinkle? I've seen this growing a metre and a half high over other shrubs e.g. hawthorne hedge. It's cheap, evergreen and as a bonus has lovely flowers too! Good luck.