Old 15-05-2009, 11:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
shazzbat shazzbat is offline

Default ID Please

"Wally" wrote in message

"Jeff Layman" wrote in message
Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote:
In message , Wally
writes
Can anyone please tell me if this is a flower or weed,
it is growing on the bank at the side of my allotment.

http://wally1002.tripod.com/id/DSCF0735.JPG

Malva, probably Malva sylvestris (common mallow).

It is both a cultivated flower and a wild-flower.

If it's a weed I want to get rid before it takes over.

Mallows tend to be short-lived, when not annual or biennial. Whether it
will take over may depend on where you are - they don't seed around much
with me. It doesn't spread vegetatively.

I'd be more concerned about the horsetails...

--
Jeff

Yes I am concerned about it Jeff and working on it.

When you've got rid of it, we'd all like to know how :-)

Steve