Old 15-05-2009, 10:21 PM posted to rec.gardens
Dioclese Dioclese is offline

Default soil from the curb

"Jeff" wrote in message
I live on a quiet corner (traffic wise) and the ivy has grown over the
curb. It's been a few years since I cleaned this out so there's as a good
bit of soil in there, it's pretty light in consistency, dark in color and
full of worms. To a gardening novice this seems like good soil, much
lighter that what I get out of the bag, or from the bottom of the mulch
pile.

What should I do with this? I've got a grape to plant and I'd like to
pot up some roses. Would it be suitable for that, or should I amend it?

Jeff

Hi, Jeff. Thanks for the question. I ran into something similar when
working on my elderly mother's yard. She has a drainage ditch in concrete
bounded by a shallow curb between her house and a neighbor. While mowing
and trimming, I found that many leaves from many types of trees had landed
there. My nephews and nieces previously did this kind of work. Apparently,
they left if all alone for nature to do its work on the leaves. I'd say I'd
have to know what's most likely in your stewing mass (soil) at the curbline
before I'd say to use it or not. Some trees have natural growth deterrents
in their leaves for instance.
--
Dave