Old 14-04-2003, 07:08 PM
Simon Avery

Default Daffs in a newly rented property.

Carl Inglis wrote:

Hello Carl

Funny who turns up in Usenet, ain't it?

CI We've recently moved into a new (to us) property in Lincs.
CI The previous tenant (or possibly the owner) has planted
CI daffodils in some of the beds. Whilst they have flowered and
CI look pretty; they aren't really where I want them. The
CI question, therefore, is:
CI At what stage can I dig up the bulbs and replant them where
CI I want them?

When the stems and leaves have lost their moisture, turning brown. By
then the daff has had its fling and stored enough energy to stick
their heads up next year.

CI Actually, while I think about it, can someone answer the
CI same question with regard to tulips (in another bed)??

Same with all bulbs, as far as I know. They rely on stored energy to
put out enough leaves to generate more energy. Then they flower, seed
and go dormant until next year. You can move them safely in the
dormant period.

In reality I've moved a lot of daffs this year which had leaves and
some in flower. A good watering in and they carried on as if nothing
happened. (I needed to remove the flowerbeds they were in)

Hope you're both well.