Old 16-05-2009, 10:56 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Deer resistant perennials

On Fri, 15 May 2009 12:27:29 -0400, "JoeSpareBedroom"
wrote:

Ha. I know. Deer will eat anything if they're hungry. But still, there are
some plants they'll ignore if they're not so hungry. Anyone have comments
about any of the plants on the list below? A gardener near my home is giving
away or selling things on the list. I'm in Western NY. She's not in deer
territory, so she can't be of any assistance.

$1 per plant. I see my future. Half my lawn gone by next week. :-)

Alchemilla mollis -Lady's Mantle
Allium tuberosum - garlic chives, showy white flower heads great for display
or cooking
Allium cernuum - pink nodding umbels
Aster - "Purple Dome" - purple daisy like flowers in the fall
Astilboides tabularis - fabulously bold, tropicalesque foliage, huge
beautiful leaves part shade to bright shade
Black Eyed Susies
Chaerophyllum hirsutum 'Roseum' - clouds of pink lacy umbels highlighted by
ferny foliage
Centaurea scabiosa - masses of purple flowers, attracts butterflies
Daylillies - double orange, pink and other assorted varieties
Elderberry - Ornamental Shrub "Black Lace"
Eupatorium "Chocolate" - Tall masses of chocolate-purple leaves all summer
followed in autumn with huge heads of small white flowers
Euphorbia "Dulcis Chameleon"- Carefree plant with deepest maroon mounds of
foliage. Yellow flowers with the outer bracts turning green. The more sun
the deeper the foliage color.
Geraniums - long prolific display of blossoms and lush foliage , easy care
Geranium sanguineum - magenta flowers
Geranium "Wargrave Pink", "Katherine Adele"- silvery pink flowers
Geranium pretense "Hocus Pocus"- purple leaves with lavender purple flowers
Geranium renardii, - Geranium renardii 'Philippe Vapelle' velvet gray green
textured leaves - unusual
Geranium maculatum - blue flowers from June - August
Geranium "Karmina - rose colored flowers, foliage is fragrant with striking
red fall color
Geranium "Samobor" - scalloped leaves with large purple markings -reflexed,
burgundy flower
Knautia macedonica -Burgandy flowers with a very long season of flowering
Lily of the Valley
Lychnis coronaria
Monarda fistulosa (Bee Balm)- lavender pink flowers attracts butterflies and
hummingbirds
Myrrhis odorata (Sweet Cicely) - elegant fern-like herb has a mounding form
and anise-flavored bright-green leaves, shade tolerant
Nepeta sibirica - "Souvenir d'Andre Chaudron" - Great for Hummingbirds
Papaver lateritium (Poppy) - different than the oriental poppy in that it
reblooms, light orange flowers in summer .
Phlox - "Eva Cullum" medium pink with a dark pink eye, "Mount Fuji" white
Phlomis tuberosa - Whorls of pink or flowers with large green leaves -
unusual
Purple Cone Flower
Ravenswing - Unusual purple fern like foliage with white flowers stunning
plant
Siberian Iris
Spiderwort (Purple)
Valerian officinalis (Very fragrant) pink/white umbels on a 4' plant

Deer ate
phlox
Deer did NOT eat
daylilies