Old 15-05-2009, 05:27 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Deer resistant perennials

Ha. I know. Deer will eat anything if they're hungry. But still, there are
some plants they'll ignore if they're not so hungry. Anyone have comments
about any of the plants on the list below? A gardener near my home is giving
away or selling things on the list. I'm in Western NY. She's not in deer
territory, so she can't be of any assistance.

$1 per plant. I see my future. Half my lawn gone by next week. :-)

Alchemilla mollis -Lady's Mantle
Allium tuberosum - garlic chives, showy white flower heads great for display
or cooking
Allium cernuum - pink nodding umbels
Aster - "Purple Dome" - purple daisy like flowers in the fall
Astilboides tabularis - fabulously bold, tropicalesque foliage, huge
beautiful leaves part shade to bright shade
Black Eyed Susies
Chaerophyllum hirsutum 'Roseum' - clouds of pink lacy umbels highlighted by
ferny foliage
Centaurea scabiosa - masses of purple flowers, attracts butterflies
Daylillies - double orange, pink and other assorted varieties
Elderberry - Ornamental Shrub "Black Lace"
Eupatorium "Chocolate" - Tall masses of chocolate-purple leaves all summer
followed in autumn with huge heads of small white flowers
Euphorbia "Dulcis Chameleon"- Carefree plant with deepest maroon mounds of
foliage. Yellow flowers with the outer bracts turning green. The more sun
the deeper the foliage color.
Geraniums - long prolific display of blossoms and lush foliage , easy care
Geranium sanguineum - magenta flowers
Geranium "Wargrave Pink", "Katherine Adele"- silvery pink flowers
Geranium pretense "Hocus Pocus"- purple leaves with lavender purple flowers
Geranium renardii, - Geranium renardii 'Philippe Vapelle' velvet gray green
textured leaves - unusual
Geranium maculatum - blue flowers from June - August
Geranium "Karmina - rose colored flowers, foliage is fragrant with striking
red fall color
Geranium "Samobor" - scalloped leaves with large purple markings -reflexed,
burgundy flower
Knautia macedonica -Burgandy flowers with a very long season of flowering
Lily of the Valley
Lychnis coronaria
Monarda fistulosa (Bee Balm)- lavender pink flowers attracts butterflies and
hummingbirds
Myrrhis odorata (Sweet Cicely) - elegant fern-like herb has a mounding form
and anise-flavored bright-green leaves, shade tolerant
Nepeta sibirica - "Souvenir d'Andre Chaudron" - Great for Hummingbirds
Papaver lateritium (Poppy) - different than the oriental poppy in that it
reblooms, light orange flowers in summer .
Phlox - "Eva Cullum" medium pink with a dark pink eye, "Mount Fuji" white
Phlomis tuberosa - Whorls of pink or flowers with large green leaves -
unusual
Purple Cone Flower
Ravenswing - Unusual purple fern like foliage with white flowers stunning
plant
Siberian Iris
Spiderwort (Purple)
Valerian officinalis (Very fragrant) pink/white umbels on a 4' plant

Old 15-05-2009, 06:52 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Fri, 15 May 2009 12:27:29 -0400, "JoeSpareBedroom"
wrote:

Ha. I know. Deer will eat anything if they're hungry. But still, there are
some plants they'll ignore if they're not so hungry. Anyone have comments
about any of the plants on the list below? A gardener near my home is giving
away or selling things on the list. I'm in Western NY. She's not in deer
territory, so she can't be of any assistance.

$1 per plant. I see my future. Half my lawn gone by next week. :-)

Alchemilla mollis -Lady's Mantle
Allium tuberosum - garlic chives, showy white flower heads great for display
or cooking

Very invasive in TN - if I had deer I'd be begging them to eat it.

Allium cernuum - pink nodding umbels
Aster - "Purple Dome" - purple daisy like flowers in the fall
Astilboides tabularis - fabulously bold, tropicalesque foliage, huge
beautiful leaves part shade to bright shade
Black Eyed Susies

Deer left them alone in VT
Old 16-05-2009, 12:57 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 5/15/09 12:27 PM, in article ,
"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:

Ha. I know. Deer will eat anything if they're hungry. But still, there are
some plants they'll ignore if they're not so hungry. Anyone have comments
about any of the plants on the list below? A gardener near my home is giving
away or selling things on the list. I'm in Western NY. She's not in deer
territory, so she can't be of any assistance.

$1 per plant. I see my future. Half my lawn gone by next week. :-)

Elderberry - Ornamental Shrub "Black Lace"
Eupatorium "Chocolate" - Tall masses of chocolate-purple leaves all summer
followed in autumn with huge heads of small white flowers

Knautia macedonica -Burgandy flowers with a very long season of flowering

Can I do a deal with you for these - maybe some more interesting daylilies
or sedums.

So to deer resistant - nothing truly is, but my local deer rarely bother my
garden in preference to my lawn or the stands of jewel weed that dot the
area.

Cheryl

Old 16-05-2009, 01:41 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Cheryl Isaak" wrote in message
On 5/15/09 12:27 PM, in article ,
"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:

[...]

If by "do a deal" you mean ship them to you, I can't really help with that,
Cheryl. I don't have time anytime soon for creative boxing & shipping. Maybe
the lady selling them would be interested if you contact her directly.

http://rochester.craigslist.org/grd/1171667436.html

As far as daylillies & sedums, those are two plants that are pretty much
worthless in my yard because of the creature snacking. I just moved a
"Hyperion" daylilly inside the veg garden fence so I can finally enjoy some
flowers after 4 years of deer carnage. I don't have room for any more in
that part of the garden.

Old 16-05-2009, 10:56 PM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

[...]

Deer ate
phlox
Deer did NOT eat
daylilies
geraniums
garlic
lily of the valley

Old 16-05-2009, 11:02 PM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

[...]

The last two: Same here.

Daylillies: They ate every flower I had.

Geraniums: We'll see. Bought two from the list above.

Old 17-05-2009, 12:29 PM posted to rec.gardens

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:

[...]

I just may contact her myself

Now, the deer will snack on my daylilies, but the sedums - never ever.

Old 18-05-2009, 08:05 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Sun, 17 May 2009 07:29:44 -0400, Cheryl Isaak

Now, the deer will snack on my daylilies, but the sedums - never ever.

I am finishing up a full-sun stone wall and want some sedums near the
top. Thanks for letting me know about the deer. Are sedums
resistant to slugs/snails too?

Maybe deer have eaten my daylilies, but from the number of blooms it
sure doesn't look like it.