Old 17-05-2009, 06:18 AM posted to sci.bio.botany
[email protected] plutonium.archimedes@gmail.com is offline

Default physics of tulip bulbs how do bulbs get buried so deep?pick-axe in transplanting

Sean Houtman wrote:
wrote in news:d2aac300-c9df-4934-baca-
:

This bulb question should be easy enough to experiment with and find
the
correct answer. I happen to think the answer is that the Action
Reaction of
leaf to bulb.

The bulb is a living thing and capable of growing. It is also possible for
the bulb to just grow downwards. Roots grow downwards, they are not pushed
into the soil by force transmitted through the stem from the leaves above.

Sean

Yes, that was my 2nd hypothesis where the bulb acts like a root.

Now to test experiment these hypothesis we get a glass like container
and
have various types of soils especially some clay soil and plant them
not so deep and use some marker as to the lowest point they are
planted.
And then pull them out every so often and check and see if they have
moved deeper.

See if they moved deeper because of the Springtime leaves moving
upwards.
Or see if they move deeper due to their roots.

Or if they do not move at all.

Archimedes Plutonium
www.iw.net/~a_plutonium