Old 17-05-2009, 12:29 PM posted to rec.gardens
Cheryl Isaak Cheryl Isaak is offline

Default Deer resistant perennials

On 5/16/09 8:41 AM, in article ,
"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:

"Cheryl Isaak" wrote in message
On 5/15/09 12:27 PM, in article ,
"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:

Ha. I know. Deer will eat anything if they're hungry. But still, there
are
some plants they'll ignore if they're not so hungry. Anyone have comments
about any of the plants on the list below? A gardener near my home is
giving
away or selling things on the list. I'm in Western NY. She's not in deer
territory, so she can't be of any assistance.

$1 per plant. I see my future. Half my lawn gone by next week. :-)

Elderberry - Ornamental Shrub "Black Lace"
Eupatorium "Chocolate" - Tall masses of chocolate-purple leaves all
summer
followed in autumn with huge heads of small white flowers

Knautia macedonica -Burgandy flowers with a very long season of flowering

Can I do a deal with you for these - maybe some more interesting daylilies
or sedums.

So to deer resistant - nothing truly is, but my local deer rarely bother
my
garden in preference to my lawn or the stands of jewel weed that dot the
area.

Cheryl

If by "do a deal" you mean ship them to you, I can't really help with that,
Cheryl. I don't have time anytime soon for creative boxing & shipping. Maybe
the lady selling them would be interested if you contact her directly.

http://rochester.craigslist.org/grd/1171667436.html

As far as daylillies & sedums, those are two plants that are pretty much
worthless in my yard because of the creature snacking. I just moved a
"Hyperion" daylilly inside the veg garden fence so I can finally enjoy some
flowers after 4 years of deer carnage. I don't have room for any more in
that part of the garden.

I just may contact her myself

Now, the deer will snack on my daylilies, but the sedums - never ever.