Old 19-05-2009, 02:00 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
zxcvbob zxcvbob is offline

Default Frost

Steve Peek wrote:
Last Thursday was the only day in the last month that the soil was dry
enough to work. I busted my hump putting in squash, cucumbers, peanuts,
okra, beans and my precious heirloom tomatoes. Now the local effing
weatherman is calling for lows in the mid to low 30's and frost in the
morning. I've been scrambling all afternoon, trying to cover all the tender
plants. I guess I'm not looking for any advise, maybe just a little
commiseration.
Steve

I don't set anything tender out until after Memorial day, and I always
hold a few spare plants back until early June. Last year I had
everything looking good, the tomatoes and peppers had actually started
growing again after being set out... and a mighty hailstorm wiped
everything out.

If the plants are small, a piece of white plastic sewer pipe cut into
10" to 12" sections works great for protecting young transplants from
frost, wind, and harsh sun until they get established a bit.

Brown paper bags with the bottoms cut out and those flimsy wire tomato
cages work great for larger plants.

Good luck.

/Bob