Old 19-05-2009, 01:04 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
The Cook The Cook is offline

Default Frost

On Mon, 18 May 2009 19:33:21 -0400, "Steve Peek"
wrote:

Last Thursday was the only day in the last month that the soil was dry
enough to work. I busted my hump putting in squash, cucumbers, peanuts,
okra, beans and my precious heirloom tomatoes. Now the local effing
weatherman is calling for lows in the mid to low 30's and frost in the
morning. I've been scrambling all afternoon, trying to cover all the tender
plants. I guess I'm not looking for any advise, maybe just a little
commiseration.
Steve

I read the message that said you were in western NC. I am about 20
miles south of the VA line just off of I77. The Surry County
Community College weather page said the low was 36.9°F overnight.

I just started my squash and melons in the greenhouse last week. My
tomatoes have been out since April 26. I will direct seed the beans,
corn and okra when I don't sink up to my ankles when I walk into the
garden.
--
Susan N.