Old 19-05-2009, 05:16 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Ryan P Ryan P is offline

Default New house, old tired lawn?

On 5/17/2009 11:41 PM, six0 wrote:
Hi All,
I have just moved house in Northumberland and the lawn has seen better
days, do I start again by removing the old turf and buying new? Or can
it be repaired, with TLC?
The lawn is patchy and has quite a few dandelions and other weeds
interspersed over it?

When I bought my house, I had a lawn that was probably 40% weeds,
including creeping charlie (or something really similar to it), and lots
of dandelions.

I did a general weed b gone, but of course that only killed the
dandelions and some of the other common weeds. I had to manually get
down on my hands and knees and physically remove the creeping charlie
(some of the tendrils were 3-4 feet long!).

A little bit of seed in the now bare patches, and by the following
summer, my lawn appeared to be about 95% grass. This spring, I did
general feed, and have been spot treating any weeds that get too large
for their own good. My lawn in general seems to be much happier that
that situation. (I stressed it the prior year by multiple weed b gone
applications the summer before).